Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN autheticates but can't do anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphG1

Programmer
Aug 27, 2001
GB
1) I have another W2K computer behind an ADSL USB modem.
2) I have a W2K computer behind an ISDN USB modem (No firewall).

When computer 2 tries to VPN to computer 1 I get verifying username and password and then the message saying you are connected. Computer 1 also states that computer 2 has a successful connection.

Computer 2 cannot "net view" anything else other than itself yet it can "ping server" (server is name of computer 1) and get the reply "192.168.0.1"

This was all working fine until I tried to put a Linksys firewall router onto machine 1 last week then stopped, removed it, and installed the USB modem again.

The strange thing is that I can tick the box saying allow incoming connections on this device for the USB modem on computer 1 but as soon as I close incomming connections windwon and open it up agian the tick has been un-ticked.
However, un-ticked it may be but I still get the "you are connected" mesage when I try to VPN, I just can't do anything after that point except ping.

Any ideas?

1. Yes the client can ping the server computer by its windows name of "server" i.e I can type "ping server" and I get the reply from it of "Reply from 192.168.0.1" etc.

I did not do a "net view \\server" I only did "net view" and that only showed the client computer. (I was doing both the ping and the net view from the client).

Do you want me to do a "net view \\server"?

PS. Thanks for helping.

I am at the premises now of the server and I am remote controling the client through the internet.

On the clinet I opened a dos prompt and typed:
"net view server"
I got Error number 53

I can ping the server via "Ping server"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back