Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and Win2000-XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RKV

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
US
I am sure this question has been awnsered once or twice, but I will ask again.
I have a VPN set up at work. Watchguard Firebox II on NT4.0 server. My problem is this. All connections made from an Internet dial up connect and work great. They can browse the network and connect to the exchange server no matter what OS they are running. I have a cable connection at home with an SMC 7004ABR firewall/router. I run 2000 on my home machine and XP/ME dual boot on my laptop. I can connect just fine with XP and 2000 if I use a 56K dial-up or connect directly to the cable modem. But if I go through the router, I connect but thats all I can do. I cannot browse the network or anything.
Now if I boot up under ME behind the router, Everything works fine, I can browse, connect to exchange and everything. I have tried different routers (i.e. D-Link and Linksys) they act the same way. I have disabled the firewall and made the client part of the DMZ and still nothing. I know it is a 2000/XP problem and may also be a pass thru problem with the router. What do I need to do??

If you can ping the router once your vpn is established => add a route from your local pc to the remote network using router ip as gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back