Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and Remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepguy267

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Anybody doing this today?

I would like to add a vpn device to our network and give owners access to network files from home and when traveling (DSL is all locations). theory says once connected to the vpn we should be able to open peachtree and work realtime in peachtree over the VPN. I don't like the "sych" and other remote access options peachtree offers and think this should work just fine.

Do you agree or disagree?????

I can't speak to how to apply this to Peachtree specifically, but, the way I am getting remote access to other applications is to:
1. establish the vpn connection
2. run pcAnywhere at each end (host and remote)

VPN gives me the secured connection over the internet, pcAnywhere gives me remote control of one PC on the host LAN. I can then run the accounting system (or any other application) that is installed on the host PC.

Another option is to install MS Terminal Services at the host LAN.

Hope this helps.

Bill Chambers
Chambers & Associates
Fairfax, VA

We currently have a VPN connection to a remote office and have tried to run Peachtree Complete 2003 over that - it is slow and nearly unrealistic to get anything accomplished. We then did as billch states and employed PCAnywhere over the VPN to access Peachtree - it works much better, although PCA is not as nice as working on your local machine. There have been some select printing issues as well, but over it works using PCA in an acceptable manner. I will also mention that the DSL we are running the VPN over is limited in bandwidth, not to mention we are also running IP telephone over the connection as well.

Let us know if you have success with running over a straight VPN or not??

Tom.

We're moving all applications including Peachtree from one of our branch to HQ. We're using Citrix Nfuse for remote users about 150 with no problems. We're currently using other ERP & CRM system as well.

Have you been able to get Peachtree 2004 to work multi-user on Citrix?? If so I would like to know how you did it. We are trying and can't get it to work.

We're still waiting for branch office to send the CDs and back-up. I've heard a lot about the issues in PT 2004 but also saw some good solutions. Hopefully, we don't have the same issues as others did, let's see.

I'll update you once we get it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back