Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN AND CISCO 678 no name resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuamBoy

Technical User
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hello everyone,

I have an issue with my Cisco 678, I think. Here is the low down.

Summary:

Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Cisco 678 Router
NAT/PAT enabled
DHCP - from ISP
Using CheckPoint Software for authentication into work.
Reconfigured my router for the 192.168.1.x range for home network....was recommended to do that.
Tried to define my WORK PLACE DNS servers...did not work

Problem:

I can authenticate through our firewall at work and the VPN software tells me that I have successfully authenticated and I am connected to the SITE! I cannot resolve any names on our work domain. That being our servers or even our intranet. I can't even get out to our public website! I am really lost about where to start and would appreciate just about ANY suggestions that you may have! It seems to be not truly NAT'ing or something. To be honest I really don't know what is going on but I am the ONLY one out of approx. 50 people that is having the problem. Many people can connect with ease and some just simply can't get authenticated but I am the only one who can get authenticated but cannot resolve any names.

when you're vpn'ed in and you run an "ipconfig /all" what does it say for your DNS servers?

Thank you for your help but I think I got it! I have to reconfigure my NAT settings on my Cisco 678 in order for it to truly work. I will post the commands I use from the CBOS> in hope that this will help someone in the future!

Take care all,

Thomas

would you have any man. pages that i would be able to help a friend of mine who is in need of getting a cisco675 running:
list of items,
cbos 2.4.3
nat & dhcp enabled (no other set commands used, yet)
one static ip from isp(unknown to me)
dsl from qwest
1gigP3 clone running winxp

needed,
to run voice/video from msn messenger, and to help with setup of some misc. games that are not running right now.

thank you for any links or info

I would have to recommend going out to CISCO's site they should have everything you need out there. I found alot of my documenation out there and would recommend using their site for reference. Unfortunately, I did not save or print too much of the literature I came across.

If your friend has QWEST I would call their help line up and have them help you open up some ports!!! I think I have it....1-800-247-7285..make sure you speak to the "Home Network Support Team" or "LAN Team" they helped me out a bunch. I'm not a gamer and I have no idea what ports you would need to open up for games or MSN messenger audio. If you can find out which ports they run on then you are in business. I'm pretty sure these are the commands you need to use for opening up the ports.

First you need to know what IP you are using....and then make sure NATing is enabled. If the following EX. I will use 192.168.1.1 as my ISP given IP address.

Then: -- the last four being the port numbers!
SET NAT ENTRY ADD 192.168.1.1 1701
SET NAT ENTRY ADD 192.168.1.1 1723
SET NAT ENTRY ADD 192.168.1.1 501
SET NAT ENTRY ADD 192.168.1.1 0 51
SET NAT ENTRY ADD 192.168.1.1 0 50
SET NAT ENTRY ADD 192.168.1.1 0 47

I would confirm this with Cicso.com first!

Good luck!

I have just received a DSL connection with a Cisco 678 router and need to setup natting. The internal network is 192.168.1.x., any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back