Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN and ADSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

davez

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
Hi, im looking for a little help with a vpn which has just been set up. I am able to connect to the VPN tunnel through an ADSL connection okay, but the problem is I cant telnet to the server I require access to. I thought this may be an issue with the tunnel I had set up (external vendor) but I am able to telnet to the server I require when i connect to this tunnel via dial up connection, it is only when im on adsl that this is an issue. Any help appreciated

Cheers
Dave

Probably a routing issue. Maybe not.

What happens when you try your telnet connection? Keep in mind that "I can't do this" or "that doesn't work" isn't a good indication as to what is going on.

Along that same line, try a ping to the telnet server as well as a tracert. Again, be descriptive.

You mentioned a dialup connection. Do you mean you can dial another ISP and make the VPN connection and all is well? Or are you dialing directly to the telnet server or a dialup server on the network?

What VPN client are you using, and what is the server?

If I try to telnet i get the following:
Connecting To 10.59.50.19...Could not open a connection to host on port 23 : Connect failed

ping returns request timed out.

With the dial up connection that is correct I dial another ISp and then make the VPN connection, which works okay.

VPN client is CISCO 3.6

Thanks
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back