Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN & Separate Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

french44

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
US
I setup VPN (through a Linksys router) on a 2000 server, and I'm able to connect to it through a Win98 pc. But when I connect, the pc slows up dramatically and it is no longer able to connect to its local server. Could this be because it's two different domains? Is it even possible to connect to a different domain through a VPN?

When you connect to a VPN, does your NIC become inactive to everything else? I tried to connect to the VPN with a seperate computer, and when connecting through a dial-up account, it connects fine and all my drives are mapped. But when I try to connect through DSL, it looks like it connects, but there are no mapped drives and I'm unable to connect to the internet or ping out. Any suggestions...

OK, I fixed the previous problem. Now my problem is I can connect, but I cannot access anything on the other side. I can ping everything on the other side. I think I have the permissions setup right. Do I have to setup DNS on the VPN server? I do have WINS setup on that server.

Also, on the client, what would I set the WINS up as, the router's IP address or the server's internal address? And I should mention that these client's are behind another Linksys router and connects to a NT4.0 server.

When I take the same computer and connect to a separate dial up account, everything connects and works great. So there is something with the networked setting.

Any ideas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back