Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Access from Internet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza6373

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
GB
Hi,
I need to set-up access to our offic IP network via a VPN, so a home user can use his dial-up Internet Connection to access our central corporate LAN.

I have a spare Cisco 801 & 1720 Router at the central site. But currently no available internet connection.

How would I go about setting up the Cisco Router and the remote home user.

Please help, many thanks.

Daz.

If you have Cisco routers, you should also have technical support from Cisco. (If not, then purchase it now!) All you need to do is call up their technical support, ask if they have a VPN solution to their router. They should be able to let you know if there is an IOS update to allow this. They have such updates for many of their products.

If the Cisco technical support rep says that they don't support this, then you will need to use a different party's solution. If you already have a Microsoft Server, then Microsoft's solution is by far the cheapest, and it is very easy to setup. There are, however, some tricky and sticky issues with it. You can find all the information you need by going to Microsoft's Knowledge Base, Select your Microsoft Server, Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 Server, and search for PPTP or VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back