Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

??Voodoo Video Card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla

Programmer
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have a customer that has a video card that has a pin configuration that I have never seen before. It is not the standard 3 rows of 5 pins that VGA has. The conector is also longer. I have been told that this is a voodoo card, and that they were only made for about 6 months several years ago. I have just installed Windows XP on this system. XP does have a driver for it that does not give to bad of a picture. But it is in 640 X 480 mode with 8 bit color. The only way to be able to use the system is to hit 'F8' after the post and choose enable VGA mode. If you allow it to boot normally the monitor will act like the system is not turned on or the monitor is not hooked up. If I try to change the higher screen resolution or higher color mode to anything else it will act the same way if VGA mode is not selected.

Does anybody have any suggestions or have any other insight on this, other than replace the monitor and video card.

Is it possible to have the boot options menu come up automatically, or a way to make the system wait for the user to select VGA Mode with out hit 'F8"

Thank you

Enable VGA Mode: This option starts Windows in 640 x 480 mode, using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful if the display is configured for a setting that the monitor cannot display.

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Try chasing up any possible XP driver through these links.

have you tried it used to point to a goup site for drivers.. I loaded xp pro and found that the board worked with a driver I picked up there. It had limited options screen res was fully available

Let me know

The mighty, all conqyering VOODOO range of graphics cards ruled the 3D graphics card industry for several years there model range went something like this from memory.

Voodoo 4meg/8meg purely an accelerator card used in conjunction with the existing graphics card with a loop cable linking the two
Voodoo 2 same as above but with improvements
Banshee
Voodoo 3 2000 and 3000 models standalone 16meg
Voodoo 3500
Voodoo 4500
Voodoo 5500 twin processor slightly better than a GF2 MX400

There were of course lots of intermediary options as well
No official support for XP but so many Voodoo cards existed that Voodoo die hards modified official drivers to work with XP.
Modified XP drivers available for Voodoo 3? and above
I used a Voodoo 3 3000 16mb in a cheap build last week and the beta drivers off this site worked a treat in XP pro.

Visit Voodoofiles or the other site recommended above.

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

it might be the original Monster Video card which was used in tandem with a normal video card. This would use a passthrough cable from the Monster card to the main card then to the monitor.

If you are just using this card all it adds is 3d capability, to whatever default video adapter you have.
it think it came as a 4 meg or 8 meg card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back