Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vonage Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmanOK

MIS
Mar 5, 2001
Has anyone tried to use a Vonage line to get PSTN connectivity on a CallManager system? More to the point, has anyone got it to work? If not Vonage, then what about any other VOIP providers? I currently have my Vonage line hooked up through an FXO port, but it is on a VERY old MC3810 and does not support Caller ID, which I would like to have back.

You dont mind me asking how you are connecting the vonage to your router"dial peer configuration.
Thanks

No problem... here's the relevant config sections:

voice-port 1/5
supervisory disconnect dualtone mid-call
connection plar 2001
impedance 600c
description Vonage XXX-XXX-XXXX
!
!
dial-peer voice 9 pots
destination-pattern 9T
port 1/5
!
dial-peer voice 2000 voip
destination-pattern 2...
progress_ind setup enable 3
voice-class codec 100
session target ipv4:192.168.1.25
dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric
ip qos dscp cs5 media
no vad

Thanks for your response.
I have found the below link
for callamanager to vonage intergration.

I have seen the below in your config.
connection plar 2001
the reason I am asking is we are intrested in doing the same setup as you have so users can dial access code on their phone and get a Vonage dial tone rather going to the phone company ."throgh the FXO on Cisco 2821 router". any hints or related config will be appreciatedThanks

I have Vonage working via an FXO port on a Nortel BCM, and it does provide caller ID. If your configuration supports caller ID from the PSTN, then it should support it from Vonage. I wouldn't think that this is a Vonage-specific issue for Cisco or any other equipment.

It's not a Vonage specific issue, the hardware I'm using doesn't support it, which I why I wanted to bypass the IP --> Analog --> IP conversion.

So how do you suggest you connect your vonage analog line to the router? Vonage delivers analog dial tone to your premise through their SIP enabled device that you installed at home. So the only way to connect to the call manager is using an FXO port.
If your router does not support caller ID you will have to get a newer router that does. I don't see any other way to do this.

If your question is if the analog vonage service will work with call manager the answer is yes. The router does not know if it a traditional 1FB delivered from your local CLEC or a VoIP line converted to analog on your premises.

I hope this answers your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back