Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

volume shadow copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncan20

IS-IT--Management
Sep 1, 2004
GB
hi,

new to server 2003 and volume shadow copy. Can i only shadow copy an entire partition or can i select specific shares. Also can i store the shadow copy data on remote shares?

thanks

John

You can only set shadow copy on a volume and not on a share. You can store the shadow copies on a remote system, however MS recommends against this as it will greatly decrease performance.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

it is useful thanks. when i try and set the storage destination i only see the local drives not mapped drives on remote machines. Do you know what sort of % shadow copy uses of the orginal amount of files? ATM i have shadow copy storage area going to the same drive as the orginal. would you strongly advise against this?

You can set the size for your shadow copies. Tell it how much data to save etc.

Having the copies go to the same drive is OK, but you will get much better performance if you are writing to a different physical disk. If your drives are in a RAID array I don't think it really matters at all.

Regards,

Mark

thanks.
i am not sure how much space i should allow for shadow copys - i am currently using 50gb of data that i want to apply shadow copy to. how much space can i expect the shadow copys to take up?

it is raid 5 so hopefully i wont see a performance drop.

john

With chunk sizes different and all it is hard to estimate the total size you would need. Give it as much as you can afford to and WSS will stay within those confines.

Regards,

Mark

A shadpw copy of a 100MB drive only takes about 10MB. So shadow copy would only utilize about 10% of your drive.

regards,
Asghar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back