Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume Mapping Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

etaylor

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2003
US
We have two Novell 3.12 Server and one Novell 5.1SP5 Server. Most of our Novell Client 4.83SP1 and running on Windows 2000 computers. Novell 3.12 is the default logon server, which mapped other two volumes on 5.1 servers through the logon script, which is on 3.12 server.

Recently I installed Novell Client 4.83SP1 on Windows XP Pro computer. While I try to logon into the Novell servers, its able to mapped the Novell 3.12 volumes, but failed to map the 5.1 server volumes. And its only happening in the Windows XP machine. The errors are as follows:

LOGIN-4.22.00-430: The following drive mapping operation could not be completed.
[ROOT O:=AND730S1/SYS:]
The error code was 8804.

Will appreciate the help

It could be protocol preferences issue. Do you run tcpip on your NW5.1 server? Try map by ip address
map map r:=x.x.x.x\path:Drive R: = SERVERNAME\PATH: \

Yes tcpip is running on 5.1 server. Client protocal preference is selected IP by default. Windows 2000 workstation are able to map all the drives on both server through logon script. On XP workstation, some time its able to complete the mapping on the logon process, but some time its dropped the mapping of novell 5.1 server drive.

To expand on the previous reply, you might try variations of the mapping command and see if one in particular gives you the results you want. For example:

\\server\volume
server\volume:

Maybe you could also post what your current mapping command is. There might be something really obvious if we could only see it.

Also, if you map from the workstation manually (not with the dos command, but with the gui off of the RED-N), are you able to map? if so, Try the same syntax in the login script.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Can you ping the server by name from the workstation? The 8004 error would indicate that the workstation cannot communicate with the 5.1 server by name?

The way to test this is to try and map the drive manually from a CMD box, then try the suggestion of igortsin and use the IP Address instead of the server name

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks both of your help. I can able to ping my 5.1 servers from the XP workstations by with the server name as well as IP address. I also tried to map a drive with server name as well as IP address, its prompt for user logon into the server and its works fine.

But my actual problem is not that. I have a logon script which running in 3.12 box, which map some drives of 3.12 server and some drivers of 5.1 server. And its works with all of ours W2K workstations without any problem, but its does not working with XP workstations. I drop 5.1 drive mappings. If I logoff and log back again on XP, then the logon script execute correctly and mapped all 3.12 and 5.1 server drives. (i.e. its works only, while I log off and log back again. I unable to trace out any solution.

Will appreciate you advice.

What if you changed the way you're thinking, and started using the 5.1 servers and NDS for controlling the login scripts. Stop using 3.12 for logins, and map to it through the 5.1 script. That would make more sense.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back