Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

volume control won't stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadChough

Programmer
Dec 20, 2007
GB
Whenever I reboot my system (XP Home) the slide on the Play Control on the Volume Control dialogue box returns to the bottom ie no volume. I have to reset it repeatedly. How can I get the slide to stick where I put it, please.

Does your Sound Card have any drivers that might benefit from updating? If not perhaps uninstalling the Audio Device from Device Manager, rebooting, and letting Windows rediscover it might help?

Do you have the same problem if you log on as another user?

Are there any errors in your Event Viewer?

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

DirectX: Description of the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back