Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Volume Control Slider will not stay up - No Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueMO

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
I have been without sound for forever it seems and it is really starting to bug me. It happened shortly after I had to do a quick restore on my compaq. I can hear the white noise (hiss) when I turn the external speakers up to max and can hear sound faintly. There is power to the speakers. When I click on the speaker icon on the task bar and the window opens with all the slide controls, the mute is NOT checked and the slider for Volme Control is all the way down to the bottom. When I slide it up, the volume works, it just won't stay up, it slides right back to the bottom and voila, I can't hear anything!!! What the heck am I missing here??? Any ideas greatly appreciated!!

<snip>That would be bad since you bought it from Compaq and I'm willing to bet they gave you absolutely no kind of documentation on it. <snip>

You're familiar with Compaq I see! LOL Listen, I need some explanation here. I would have thought that if my soundcard was bad that I would have no sound at all. I guess this isn't so??? And are you all saying to reinstall the soundcard driver? Again, I guess I just don't get it. Are the drivers part of Windows and that's why the volume slide won't stay up? Color me confused. and thanks for all the help you guys.

Yes, Windows may have prompted you (amidst all of the other fun ignorable setup features) for a driver for your soundcard when you installed Windows initially. If it couldn't find one on a disk that you provided it, then it will try to find the best suitable driver that it can to meet the needs of your soundcard. In my experience, this doesn't do much good. It's like, &quot;I appreciate you trying but I'm going to look elsewhere, Windows.&quot;
So I would definitely reinstall your driver. Of course, this totally complicates your situation if you don't have a clue of the manufacturer/model of the card. In fact, this is the direction that Windows will take you in if you press F1 from the desktop and try to get help with Window's troubleshooter (see the asterisk'd part):

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
On the Device Manager tab, double-click Sound, Video and Game Controllers, and then click your sound card.
*****If you don't know the name of your sound card, consult its documentation. ******
Click Properties, and then verify that the Disable in this hardware profile check box is cleared.
If the Disable in this hardware profile check box is selected, click to clear it.
Click OK, and then click Close.
Restart your computer if you are prompted to do so.

That's what sucks about these companies that just assume that its users are going to be to stupid to understand the documentation for their devices. Anyway, you still have things that you could look at. I ran a BIOS check program recently that tagged all of my hardware and spit back my motherboard make/model after I ran it. My BIOS is AMIBIOS, so you could find that on their homepage (I think it's AMI.com or something along those lines). Do you know what type of BIOS you're running? It should tell you when you reboot. To get into your BIOS features, just press delete a whole bunch of times when you start your computer up and it should tell you your BIOS type there, too. Anyway, my point is that if you know your motherboard's make and model, you will be able to find a TON of information online on it and probably information on the sound driver. ...I'm notified when you re-post to this string, so let me know what type of BIOS you're running if your BIOS isn't AMIBIOS (American Megatrends)... If it IS, then I did find this site that will help you determine your manufacturer:

I ran this downloadable diagnostic on my PC and got the following:

AMIBIOS Motherboard Manufacturer Identification
Version 1.2 (02/07/2001) Copyright 2000 American Megatrends, Inc.

This file has recorded information useful in identifying the manufacturer
of this motherboard. The information is listed below:

An AMIBIOS ID String Was Detected:
62-1005-001199-00101111-071595-IRONGATE
-- ---- ------ ------
| | | |
| | | Chipset/BIOS Info
| | Manufacturer ID
| Version Information
Processor & BIOS ROM Information

Manufacturer Code Detected: 1199 - GIGA BYTE CO., LTD.

Once you know your hardware type, your first step would be to find the driver from one of the sites I mentioned in my previous post. After you get your driver (I made that sound easy, but you may have to try this several times) you should go to the Device Manager as described above by Spiderx (sp?). Uou should (and I really hope this is the case, because it isn't always) see a yellow exlamation point beside the device (in your case this is your soundcard) that isn't working properly. That's what you're going to need a driver for. Highlight the device. It will either say &quot;Reinstall Driver&quot; on the General Tab or you can go to the Driver tab and select &quot;Update Driver&quot;. Follow the wizard and select the first option to let Windows search for a driver. Select &quot;Specify a location&quot; and click on browse to find the spot on your hard drive that you saved your driver... This may solve your problem, but it will hopefully at least get you farther than you are now.

I have been reading this conversation and would like to
say that I have almost the exact same problem. I did a
restore on my Compaq (sound is integrated) and now the
volume slider will not stay up. Also the mute will not
function and the treble and bass controls are greyed out.
I also have the ESS1869 sound system.
I have tried all the things I can think of to no avail.
I don't know if this is Windows problem, Compaq problem,
or ESS sound card problem.
I am now thinking that my sound hardware is screwed or
the restore CD has a problem. I would like to get it
figured out but I almost reached the end of my patience.
Compaqs are not any worse than any of the others generally,
but this has been the problem from hell! If anyone can solve this, I will baby sit your kids for a year...

Wow, jwhugg....I wouldn't wish this problem on anyone! Since I started this thread, I had a problem in July and had to run the factory restore disc for the fifth time!! (Luckily I have another hard drive that I keep all MY stuff on)......guess what? It didn't work this time. I was tempted to buy a new computer but they all come with XP and the needlework graphic design programs that I use don't work with XP.....so I bit the bullet and reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled windows and all the compaq drivers (I think I got all of them for this model) and guess what?? my volume control stays up now, but I still can't hear anything unless I turn the volume up to max on my speakers using the knob on them!! Sheez! I've decided to just live with it until I decide to replace this beast!! Good luck to you.....I think they are out to get us....8o)
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back