Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voltage oscillating rapidly in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoEdge

Technical User
Oct 2, 2002
I've just setup a new box with the following specs:

mobo: Intel DG45ID
CPU: Intel E7400
Vcard: Geforce 9600GT
RAM: 1 stick Kingston 2gb DDR800
Power Source: Zalman ZM460B-APS
HD and DVD-RW

Problem is, under Hardware Monitor, in the Bios, all voltages oscillate madly, they only vary in their 2nd and 3rd decimals. Is it normal? Because I've never experienced it (granted, I was in the computer stone age until now).

Please someone clarify for me if this is normal behavior or if I have a subpar power source or some such.

Thanks in advance.

2nd and 3rd decimals equals hundreths and thousanths of a volt. If you said that the tenths of a volt readings were fluctuating wildly, then this might be cause for concern.

Whilst the PSU has voltage stabilisation on all DC output rails, it is unlikely to be of a high enough quality to smooth out hundreths and thousanths of a volt. Nor would it really need to...

I suspect the more likely culprit is probably the voltage detection circuitry on the motherboard which is unable to accurately measure those levels of voltage. Personally, I would ignore anything other than a couple of tenths of a volt variation.

All that said, does the machine run ok? Nothing getting unusually hot or issuing blue smoke, etc?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

...And you could also try a complete CMOS reset, battery out etc., but I doubt it will make much difference.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

As Roger says....2/3 decimal points is hundreths/thousanths so know worries. I'm wondering if a bios flash may.....cure this this, it could have been recognised by the manufacturer and an adjustment made to how the bios reads, you never know.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Thanks for the replies guys, the main point I posted this is because I've never had a BIOS showing me voltage levels up to the 3rd decimal house, so I wasn't sure if it was bad behavior or too much precision.

I'll try clearing CMOS once I get home and post it here how it goes.

Thanks again.

Oh, and to answer Roger's question, it's running oh so smoothly! I use this box mostly for gaming and, so far had all my games set to max and great framerate.

One other thing. How is this pluged into the mains? You may want to look at getting a mains filter, even if it's just to stop your system getting fried in case of a power surge.

It may be that your input is varying greatly and your power supply is taking a beating. May be worth a look.

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Clearing CMOS did nothing. As I've kind of expected, unfortunately.

What do you mean by "how is it connected to my mains"? From the outlet to the computer? I'm using a filter, which I've used for quite a while, never gave me problems (although I'm buying a nobreak next month).

Or do you mean a filter from my PSU to my mobo?

Sorry, english is not my first language so I'll need you to explain this in more detail.

Thanks again.

I did mean from the outlet to the computer, so looks like your covered ok there.

And as English not being your first language, I really wouldn't of been able to tell! :)

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Just an update, if anyone is interested. I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version and BAM! Problem solved instantly. Voltage is quite stable now and performance seems to have increased slightly all across the board.

Apparently it had something to do with how aggressively the board managed the fans.

Thanks everyone, until next time.

Oh, and Sympology, thanks for the compliment, it means a lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back