Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

easternfunk

Technical User
Mar 10, 2006
US
I am looking to implement VOIP on my Norstar MISC running version 5. I need it for making long distance calls for the most part. We would like to keep a few of our analog lines for backup.

Are there any sites that have a guide on how to get started. I have to admit I am pretty new to the whole phone system and just had it dumped on me. I have done some searching but have yet to find a guide.

What type of Voip service is it and how is it handed off to you?

I have not even got that far yet. I just started investigating my options today. At this point any option is open. We really don't have that big of a system. We currently have 8 lines and around 30-40 phones. Many of our phones are very low usage.

make sure whatever voip provider you go with supports cpc
calling party disconnect so you can have disc supv enabled and prevent hung lines.

There is a Norstar Gateway configurable for this application.

PhM

VVV

If you just get an unlocked PAP2 adapter or Sipura SPA2000 adapter, connect it to two of your analog ports and network, then sign up two accounts with each with a different email address. Input the account information into the PAP2 or SPA2000 adapter.

Make those two lines into a seperate pool, say pool C. Add route and access code for pool C as number 8 or whatever the number you like. Now, dial 8 to get VOIP lines for long distance and dial 9 for local calls.

I have done that to our phone system and working great. Let me know you have any problem with it.

If you go with the gateway and Nortel IP phones, you'll need a combo card for the DTMF capability and probably a Contivity router on the far end. Also realize that if you use IP phones across the internet, that you are taking a chance losing control of your QoS.

Cain12 it looks like you have given your Norstar VOIP access. I have been wondering if it is possible to have a softphone on a laptop (maybe wireless) and have it call into the Norstar. Have you tried any thing like that and do you think those units you mentioned would work? Somehow I would want to get DTMF from the remote laptop to get into the N* voicemail. Thanks

The method cain12 mentioned is basically the same as Vonage or Sunrocket.

If you want VoIP phones including a softphone, you'll need the gateway type application.

If you just want VoIP dialtone, then go the other route.

I had a MAJOR brian fart when I replied to this thread.

The Norstar Gateway is for VoIP trunking only between networks and won't allow a VoIP phone to work with the MICS. I was 100% inaccurate in my reply.

I had just finished fooling with one of my private networks using VoIP phones and BCMs and my mind was stuck in that groove.

Make it easy on yourself, order Vonage business service $49/line unlimited and you can use modular wall jacks to cross connect the vonage boxes to the 66 block(or you can get a special modular terminated 66 block). Works great and you don't need to upgrade any of the cards or software codes in the MICS - it will see and use the vonage lines in the pool just like regular pots lines. I use this setup at 1 of our locations and never had a problem over 14 months!

Has anyone connected a T1 on a 0x24 to an asterisk system? I see this as an easy on-ramp for UM applications and "live" CCR menus. I'm guessing that there isn't much chance of finding a soft M7310 solution to use digital ports.

I have 3 packet8 VoIP DTA boxes. They are very similar to Vonage.

I have plugged them into my Norstar Equipment and it is very hard to hear the other person on the phone when talking, it cuts out ever 1 to 2 seconds. It's not my DTA from Packet8 as when I have it stand alone, it works fine... Any ideas? I would like to do the same as the original poster, saving on long distance is always nice and would like to make these three DTA boxes, lines 3, 4, and 5 on my employee's phones.

My assumption is that its going digital to analog back to digital that could be causing some problems, but I am no expert... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel Cline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back