Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voip router

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOT Sonicwall :)

pfsense is coming big time it seems, solid and pricely well situated
Cisco if you have the funds for it

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

ASUS AC-3100 Router has worked perfectly on my network to control SIP trunks and three different PBX's connected together with SIP trunks.

(E-MetroTel IP Office, Nortel BCM50 and Avaya IP Office)

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

I've had excellent experiences with Peplink. Very simple and intuitive interface with just about all the features you could want.

Thankx, I'll look into them. I need to get away from Edgemarc, slow to configure and the one Im doing now, will not for the life of me let me register sip trunks on the server. I even took it home to test on my own server,.,. same thing,.,.,.JUNK. It lets me go online but blocks sip ports when its designed for SIP,.,.,support at at Edgewater costs more than a nice router. Not too fond of Cisco rite now either, I just dumped one because it was kicking calls and half the time it took 20 seconds to begin to ring like some Sonic Walls do unless you make redundant rules in the firewall.

Telephone System Repair
Los Angeles

hey westi,

out of curiosity why no sonicwall? We probably have in excess of one hundred clients using them without issue. Maybe i can be of help=)

IT wire techs, check out simplewan, viirtue.com the company i work for uses them and so do our resellers. Easy to configure you can create a template, they auto provision. All management done in cloud. They provide detailed analytics, and will even send you an email if call quality drops below a predefined threshold. They are pretty nifty devices and relatively inexpensive.

i know we also have resellers that use peplink and have heard good things about them too

@ phoneguy610

every time I have mysterious issues that suddenly come out of nowhere and the IT guys are claiming it is not their network or router etc. it seems to be the Sonicwall and mostly a reboot fixes it but getting IT to actually reboot them seems more work than it should be.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

sounds like it isnt configured properly

Theres a ton of timers and settings that need to match your server registration times or the ports will close before the devices can register.

I can tell you that the amount of traffic will dictate how beefy a router you need. I had a former client that was using a linksys n900 router for all their IP and Voip traffic in a fledgling call center environment. They burned up the router and we had to put in a Netgear AC 1250 till we could convince them to open their pocket books and get something better. My former company had a Dell Sonicwall TZ-105 that never had problems. They ended up switching to a Fortinet router because they were Fortinet dealers. Fortinet is making an awesome router that works great with VOIP traffic but they are expensive. You might check around and see what the compatibility recommendations are for your phone system. PEPLink, Ubiquiti, and Linksys routers didn't work too well with Fortinet VOIP systems. We had greater success with Fortinet Routers obviously as well as PFSense.

Mikrotik goes great with Nextiva. Protip: Ask your VoIP provider which one they recommend.

Traffic is obviously a determinant of how well but based on your small network, it should not be an issue.

The challenge that we see is that even small sites are getting 100 meg connections, and low end routers simply cannot pass traffic at those speeds. We recently doubled (from 42 to 90meg) a customer's throughput by changing the edge router.

Mike Forrence

Not to hijack this thread but we are just starting to use 8x8 Cloud VoIP and are having a ton of issues getting it through a Barracuda X400 Firewall perfectly. 8x8 lists the Edgemarc as ones they will sell you in a preconfigured setup. Should I avoid it and go with one of the others you recommend? Any 8x8 experience out there?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

8X8 is hit and miss it seems. I use them now and have no issues but I was warned by others before we chose them that the quality sucks sometimes.

@Notamast - How are you guys set up? What firewall are you going out of?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Ubiquiti Edgemax Series ( Edge Router Lite, Edge Router-POE, and Edge Router x)
On my voip deployments, I only use the above. Remote access VPN provides access to the pbx and all eguipment behind the router. No port forwarding needed. I have 1 client with 6 offices connected by IAX trunks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back