Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VoIP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

celledge

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2004
US
Let me start by stating that Nortel and my vendor Bellsouth are being very helpful in troubleshooting my problems.

I have a new CSE1000 system running Succession 3.0 that we installed in February. We phased our users onto the system from around 20 to start to over 300 now. We have always had echo problems when calling local (PRI). Now we are experiencing packet loss between IP phones as well as on trunk calls. My entire network is Nortel. I have Passport 1620's which connect 24 Baystack 460/24's via fiber. I have all phase 1 phones (these use a power splitter) and I am running PoE for all IP phones.

I just received some Phase 2 phones to test with and they seem better.

Do any of you have experience with Phase 1 or Phase 2 phones? Anyone experiencing packet loss?

agree with above, but i am using a solid cisco network behind the 1000. and have less then 100 users spread over 100 square miles...

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yes. We are using separate VLAN's for voice and data as well as 802.1p. To give you an update, the new phase 2 phones haven't shown the same problems. They have a much smarter 3 port switch.

This problem was isolated to the load of software on the media card. Nortel has gone back to the DSP manufacturer and had a fix created. I hope to install it in the next few weeks. However, it is specific to 3.0. I plan to upgrade to 4.X later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back