Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VoIP over Building to Building WLAN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie321

Programmer
Jan 7, 2004
GB
Hi

We are considering using a WLAN to run our VoIP telephone system between two sites 9 miles apart.

We were thinking of using two 3Com building to building 11mbps devices.

Are there any problems with VoIP & WLANS?

Thanks B

If you use DSL, make sure you have a equal Download and Upload. What state are you in Bernie? Like ccmuser, said...get the link up, than try your VoIP. If it only for VoIP, no real biggy. If other data is going over the stream you will want to do some kind of packet shaping and prioritize the VoIP data.

In the future everything will work...

We are doing the same thing, except our sites are 2 miles apart. We are using wireless radio and we get a whopping throughput of 45Mbps.

All of our phone lines are at one location and we are using data and voice over the same wireless connection.

We use 3COM NBX 100 phones. Now I just need to figure out the IP on the Fly feature so I can add a remote user accessing the server current via a vpn.

Bernie321 your wireless WLAN very doable as was mentioned/tossed around with 3Com wares previously.

The Layer 2/3 good idea for the 3Com solution but since ccmuser is bent on Cisco and Cisco is the only thing he has an answer with and IP--well, forget it.

Bernie321 get your info from 3Com- they initially ran an 11MBPS WLAN in Upper Marlboro just not the 40 simultaneous calls and as mentioned, weird things do happen regardless of what IP solution you adopt and bandwidth and how the channels are hopped and interleaved among the bazillion other effects that wireless tech incurs will make your head spin. Is it 100 percent PERFECTED- no, of course not. Is it viable ? Yes. Anyway, regarding 3C0m and their site: This was several years ago (4-5) and the Ghz solutions today are definitely amiable and the hopping in and out is improved in all the wares as is the added space to operate in unlicensed...but check the h/w out first.

9 Miles isn't all that far- there are some other options to look at and inspite of the IP- think about more bandwidth for the WLAN as there are some good campus sites that are using WLAN successfully (L2/L3). If itz a 3Com solution you want then it's very viable. IF it's Cisco, then it's their way or the highway.

lui3 - good info ! Layer 2 has a lot to do with his gear if he's L2 on his IP setup of his phones. If he's Layer 3 then he can do some software tricks if his equipment and software support it.

gbaughma - good solution, good product.

pnabby - awesome, ain't it ? If you are need of 3Com NBX info and configs IPOTF and other info:

view:
and visit: and their forums too at:
The older I get, the less I know

And to add - the WEIRDNESS that was suggested is there and the whole reason behind 802.16d is to:

Fix things not covered by 802.11c, (which is the standard for developing access points)

Can someone please post part numbers and approx prices for a 9 mile NLos solution of all current 3com part numbers?

and BTW. I would use the Proxim Tsunami bridges myself.

I didn't say 3Com manufactures a solution for NLOS- you read more into it...I referred to "the Ghz solutions today..."

As for the 3Com solution talking about is their NBX, SS3 and vcx product line as was discussed by 'pnabby'

As for 802.16d the reference is to FIX weirdness (that you have issue with) in 802.11c

It ain't all 3Com and it's definitely not ALL Cisco.

To the edge and back, makes a difference.

Last one pondering point ccmuser- that's what's nice and LIKEABLE about 3Com products and solutions- they involve other product lines from other manufacturers !

BTW.. Just cause My screen name is CCMuser, That does not mean I ONLY use CISCO!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back