Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voip Networking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpzan

Technical User
May 14, 2016
US
I'll be installing 3 new bcm50s that will be networked in with the bcm50 at our office using voip trunks.

The bcm50 at our office has DNs starting with 1900. Our call park prefix is 8. We're receiving 4 digits from the phone company on our Pri.
The highest number DN on our system is an application DN 2301.

From what I understand, voip networking is similar to networking with point to point T-1s with destination codes, routing, target lines, etc. plus some additional system programming and keycodes.

What would be a good DN numbering plan for the 3 new bcms? We'd like to be able to call from site to site using just 4 digits if possible.

I would say starting DN's : Site A 1000, Site B 2000 and site C 3000.

Change your application DN's if need.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks. That raises another question.

If I use 1000, 2000 and 3000 for my remote sites, do I enter 1 2 3 as the destination digits in the remote gateway configuration of my head office system?

Thanks. I think I read that I should put spaces between the 1, 2 and 3 in the destination digits entry. Is that correct?

And to avoid conflicts, would it be better to have 2000, 3000 and 4000 as the start DNs of my remote sites since the start DN of my head office is 1900?

I've never heard of having to have a space after the number. Personally, I would find out the total number of DN's used at each BCM site and just allocate the numbers used.

i.e. If one site have DN's 2000 to 2150, then I would probably use DN numbers 20 and 21 as this way would free up unused DN's for future use and that you might also already have other sites using 23 or 24 numbers etc.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Okay, if I assign start DN 2000 at site A, 2200 at site B and 2400 at site C, what will my destination digits entry look like in each system?

1900 - Head ofc. - dest. digits ______
2000 - Site A - dest. digits ______
2200 - Site B - dest. digits ______
2400 - Site C - dest. digits ______

If your client is so willing to change the existing site then I would suggest:
Site A 2000, Site B 3000=, Site C 4000, Site D 5000

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

If you don't expect the remote sites to ever go over 100 DN's then,1900, 2000, 2200, and 2400 is OK. Destinations digits would be 19, 20, 22,and 24.

You would use spaces in routing digits if you had multiple DN ranges at a remote location. When programming the VOIP trunks between locations you can uses spaces between routing digits. For example, if you had DNs 18xx and 19xx at the same remote site, you would using routing digits of 18 19 in the routing digits of the VOIP trunk.

Good tip

1900 - Head ofc. - dest. digits 19
2000 - Site A - dest. digits 20
2200 - Site B - dest. digits 22
2400 - Site C - dest. digits 24

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks to all but shouldn't the destination digits entry in the head office system reflect the beginning digits of the other sites?

Is this correct?
1900 - Head ofc. - dest. digits - 20 22 24
2000 - Site A - dest. digits - 19 22 24
2200 - Site B - dest. digits - 19 20 24
2400 - Site C - dest. digits - 19 20 22

Yes you are correct....I thought you were asking what site gets which dest code.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

So I do put a space between each remote system's destination digits (example: 20space22space24) in remote gateway configuration.

Thanks again to everyone.

Yes
What software release is the BCM? may want to upgrade it to match your new BCM's if they are Rls 6.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

My main office bcm50 is version 5. The 3 new bcm50s are version 6. Are there any compatibility issues?

I can talk from a 2.0 to a 6.0. When i say talk i mean like 1900 talk oohh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back