Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP H323 Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowglen594

Programmer
Apr 21, 2006
US
Recently moved a BCM 200 that was part of a CDP amongst other systems. At new location, system can no longer dial over H323 trunks to other BCM's. Same network. Same router. Same everything except physical circuit to the central office. I can log into the switch remotely over this pipeline that the trunks would use to call other switches, and ping and traceroute work too. VOIP patch?
someone please help. client is losing confidence in my skill to solve issues. this one is big to them. please help.

Published IP address of MY system? No. Always has been 10.2.0.150 on lan port 1. Old location and new location. hope this answers your question.

Steef. My overall networking skills are limited, so you may have to elaborate on where the WAN would exist on my overall network. My main contact for this client (thier IT manager) assures me that there is no firewall blocking anything going site-to-site. Only a firewall between the main site (San Francisco) and the outside world.

initially, no programming was changed. in the process of dealing with this problem, I have changed some things here and there just to test, but then find myself changing them back because every other switch on the network works fine and has the same settings. I really want to know what kind of settings on the service providers end can affect these kinds of packets from making it site to site. the new circuit and pipeline that connects this office to the rest is the only oddball out. everything else is exactly the same.
I am considering taking another BCM 200 to the site, networking it within the office, and trying to make calls switch to switch. Any other VOIP troubleshooting ideas?

I really want to know what kind of settings on the service providers end can affect these kinds of packets from making it site to site.

Latency. Have you checked that?

Just to confirm, can you ping all the other BCMs? Can the other BCM's ping YOUR gateway? Can they ping your BCM?

Is YOUR gateway the Next Hop Router in your BCM?

I would suspect that if you're WAN is setup as an MPLS cloud from the carrier, that they have a different IP address to the new site.

If the above is indeed the scenario, has the carrier turned up the circuit?

Is there a data PRI and voice PRI in this move? That could add confusion to the whole move too, since those could be on 2 different workorders, and 2 diferent NOCs.

...just some ideas for you.

check if they applied/changed QoS on the network.

Thanks to all for the replies so far. I will check with the provider about the latency and check with the network admin about QoS.

There are separate voice (PRI) and data (T1) circuits at this new site.

I can ping all the other BCMs on my private network and they can ping the out of service switch. traceroute makes it in roughly 6-8 hops. My next hop router settings are correct for the local network.

Does anyone think that a cumulative patch for the 3.7 could fix this problem? I am considering this course of action.

Is it possible in the move that another data device got setup with the same IP as your BCM? Try disconnecting the BCM from the network and see if the other sites can still ping it.

Does anyone think that a cumulative patch for the 3.7 could fix this problem? I am considering this course of action."

I would almost always suggest this with BCM's, but in this instance I'd be a bit hesitant with adding another variable.
However, it sounds like you can ping every remote BCM on the WAN, right? So, it would probably be worth going ahead and running the patch.

If that doesn't work, I'd recheck all the settings from the service provider, change out cables, check IP trunks, run BCM monitor while testing calls, and crawl through all the options again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back