Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roldan

Vendor
Jul 11, 2002
US
I'm going to be putting the gateways in for a customer, but I have some questions. Do I need a services card in the CICS for extension to extension dialing between the the 2 Norstars? 1st site has an MICS and will I need one in the MICS as well?

Louie Roldan

Telemarv, it looks like what you are saying is definitely the route I have to take (because of 1 MICS and 1 CICS), and actually that is exactly how it is working except that I don't have the trunks set to answer with DISA and it is working. However, as I stated above when I dial the dest code to get to system B from system A or vise versa, I get dtone from the 1st system then about 4 seconds of silence and then dtone from 2nd system then I can dial the extension number. All this taking about a total of 7 seconds, is this just how it works? Not a bad deal I was just curious if this is just how it's going to work in the field.

Louie Roldan

The delay is being caused by either gateways or more likely the DSL lines (routing through your ISP's -raw internet - to the remote end and back). Unless you put in a point to point connection that's probably the best you'll get. You might want to talk to your ISP to see they can tweek it.

Marv
TeleMarv Services

Ok, I can accept that it will work this way, so the last thing I want to confirm is that I will need the 6 port combo card in the MICS.

Louie Roldan

The delay has nothing to do with network traffic. I have also had the same problem and have been unsuccessful in fixing it. If you turn off auto answer and assign the Gateway COs to a telephone, they ring instantly. When you turn auto answer back on, you get a 6 or 7 second delay. Any help with this delay would be appreciated. Has anyone been successful in connection to Norstar systems together with VOIP Gateways using target lines without this delay?

Thanks for all the responses, I'll let you all know how this works out when I install in the field in about a week.

Louie Roldan

The norstar must have DTMF recievers available

DTMF recievers are provided when using any of the following:
services card
combo card
e&m trunk card

Well, I installed the gateways this past week and here is how it turned out. I was able to call from system "B" (CICS) to system "A" (MICS), however I was not able to get it to work like a DID setup nor was I able to hear the person answering at system "A". They could hear me, but I was unable to hear them. The call from System "A" (MICS)to system "B" worked fine we were able to hear and speak to each with no problems. I'm not sure what the problem was with the 1 way audio, any ideas? Oh and the customer had a dynamic IP address at system "B" side, so I'll be back there this week to change the IP Address when they get a static IP address and t do more troubleshooting.

Louie Roldan

OK everybody, I've got an update. I got this setup to work just like I was hoping to. Cheeses, you were on the right track when you mentioned the "D" in the Digit Delivery Table. First off the Static IP fixed the one way audio, the install guide mentioned this as an issue when not using Static IP's. Then, I did have to put in a combo card into the CICS and setup the digit delivery table and it works like a charm. Users from system A can directly call users on system B and vise versa just by dialing the 3 digit extensions. Thanks for the help guys.

Louie Roldan

Louie,

Do I read your update to mean the delay disapeared?

PhM

VVV

Well, the delay did not completely go away, but instead of silence during the delay the gateway is providing Phantom ringing before the actual extension rings. So, when somebody from System A calls to System B the caller hears 2 extra rings rather than just silence, it's pretty transparent to the caller. It works great.

Louie Roldan

Louie,
Thanks. Would love an op to put one of those in.

PhM

VVV

Louie,
On your post from March 16th you mention you setup the "Digit Delivery Table" would that be the table on the gateways that cheeses mentioned. Also what brand of VOip gateways did you use in this install?
Dmac,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back