Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roldan

Vendor
Jul 11, 2002
US
I'm going to be putting the gateways in for a customer, but I have some questions. Do I need a services card in the CICS for extension to extension dialing between the the 2 Norstars? 1st site has an MICS and will I need one in the MICS as well?

Louie Roldan

Are we talking only 2 sites?

2-MICS or a CICs & a MICS?

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

2 sites, 1 with a MICS and 1 with a CICS. What I need to do have is dial extension to extension between the 2 systems. I read something about needing a services card for the DTMF receivers. Maybe I misread. I guess my question didn't make much sense, sorry for the confusion.

Louie Roldan

Yes, you need dtmf receivers at each site to allow the LS/DS card to be set to auto answer and route digits like DIDs. The easiest way to do this is with a services cartridge. If you have a T1 at either or both of these sites, then you already have a services cartridge. Also, if you already have 2 six port expansion cards, then at least one needs to be changed to a combo card.

I don't think you need a services card for the CICS. The CICS already has DTMF receivers for the internal AA and I have no problem using Auto Answer and DISA without an expansion card. The services card is required for BRI clocking.

I could be wrong as I have not connected a CICS to a MICS using a gateway. The MICS would require a combo card or some E&M cards for sure.

Rob

I have connected two CICS over VOIP without services cards. The largest problem is the 2-ring delay DISA requires.

Ok, I'm going to explain my scenario, and any input will be appreciated. I have a customer that already has an office with an MICS 6.1, 2 port expansion card, 2 LS/DS cards and 1 station module. They are opening a new office, which will be smaller, and it's going to have a CICS 6.1 and 2 LS/DS cards. My thoughts are that I will remove the 2 port expansion card and replace it with a 6 port combo card (for DTMF recievers and additional expansion ports, I'll be adding a trunk module as well as 1 LS/DS card. Oh, and 1 four port gateway at each end. Now that I've gone through the scenario here's my real question, I currently have the gateways at my office on my network, trying to simulate an install with 2 seperate norstars (both CICS). They work, however when I try to dial from system A to system B here's what I get. I dial ext. 226 (from system A), I get norstar dtone from sys. A then silence then dtone from sys. B and I have to dial the extension again to get to the correct phone. Now I have auto answer set to Y for the incomming line and I have the target line built as well, is there something I'm missing, maybe in the gateway setup?

Louie Roldan

Sounds like Sys A is not passing the digits along to Sys B. On CICS A is the absorb digits set to 0. If it is "all" then it only sends the digits that are not part of the destination code.

That's exactly what is happening, I do have absorb set to 0 and my destination code is the extension number of the other system. I only setup 1 DID and 1 Dest Code on each system for now as a test.

Louie Roldan

I would have thought you need an E&M card, not an LS/DS card on both sides. Since when can an LS/DS card take incoming digits?

LS/DS cards will not automatically send digits to the other system. Unfortunately the CICS doesn't support E&M cards. What you need to do in your setup, is set up a route (dial 8 as an example) that will send you out over the VoiP channel. Auto-answer (DISA) at the other end. So caller will dial 8 then hear dial tone of the DISA port on the other switch. Now they can dial the ext number.

Only way to do what you want is two MICS and E&M cards with combo expansion cards

Marv
TeleMarv Services

Did you put "wait for dial tone" (D) into the gateway "digit delivery table". When watching the receiving gateway lights the incoming line should pick up (light up) and then go dark (waiting for dial tone?) then pick up (light up) and dial the digits into the trunk.

On another note; I could not get the MICSs,Gateways,DID combinations to work with services cards in the MICSs. I had to use E&M/DISA cards to get DTMF receivers. The gateway lines were still connected to LS/DS cards set to auto answer. The E&M lines? portion is not connected to anything.

When I beta trialed this product I simulated the same situation between a MICS 5.0 and BCM 3.0 and it worked fine.
I did need to have a six port combo card in the MICS so i could dial straight across to the BCM. Both cards on both sides were set to auto answer, and I used an absorb length of zero to suppress any extra prefix dialing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back