Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Gateway to Definity

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffs

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
I am looking for VOIP solution that would work with my existing Definity 3 switch. We have a facility in Brazil that we would like to send VOIP traffic back to the us here in Chicago. We would like to keep our 4 digit internal ext to ext dial plan, and include the Brazil location. Is anyone aware of an IP based VOIP solution that will work with the Definity? Help im looking for a solution and some rough pricing?

What version? There are many solutions but the best one will depend on what version you are in both sites.

I am running multivantage 11 in Chicago. We need to buy something to place in Brazil. Thats the question? Whats the best/better solutions for both the Brazil side as well as Chicago side.

buffs,

There are many factors that will play into your decision. Is your Definity "IP-Enabled"? How many users are trying to support? What voice quality are you wanting to maintain? How mission critical is this communication? Just to mention a few...

The Definity is IP enabled with a CLAN board. Only 1 board. Total number of users will run apx 50, voice quality in a perfect world would be G722 if possible. The voice would be business critical at this point.

If you can afford it I wold go with a G700/S8300 with IP phones and the integrated voicemail is supposed to be pretty decent once you can get it running. I have known people that have had some headaches getting it working, but once it was up it ran good.
You could then just build an H.323 trunk between the two system. The G700 has built in MEDPRO resources that can handle 64 G.711 or 32 G.729 calls. You would of course need a MEDPRO in Chicago as well.

Thanks, I currenly have the MedPro board in my Definity 3G, I was thinking of provisioning a full T1 from Brazil to Chicago via either the Sprint MPLS cloud or another carrier.

A point to point (plugged directly into the PBX) or a WAN T1?

A WAN T1 if I can find a good way to use some of the T1 for data.

That is the way to go. Definitly configure QOS. If you can get away with g.729 turn on header compression and you will be able to fit a lot of calls over half that T1 leaving the rest for data. I believe that with header compression on with a G.729 codec you use about 26K per call. But I'm sure someone will post with exact amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back