Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP Fax options on Option 11c

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclarke

Technical User
Sep 11, 2007
BS
I have an option 11c succession 1000. In one of my buildings I only have ip phones, but now the issue is that they want to hook a fax machine, but I'm only aware of doing this on an analog card. Do anyone have anyone suggestions and does Nortel have a solution for this on the option 11c switch?

Adding an IP ATA might be the solution. But after many tests i can say that you will experience many problems. Depending the originating and destination fax machine brand that connection will not work. Canon faxes are really incompatible...
The other solution is to install a Media Gateway in this building.

how many analogue ports do you need? i always use audio codes fxs box (MP108rack mountable)for anything under 8 ports, but there are many IP to FXS single converters out there if you still need the info on single line converters i'll dig it out for you? all you need to do to route calls to it is to set it up as a H323 non ras endpoint (Simple as)

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

Actually I need at least 4 analogue ports that need to be converted.

I have to really agree with dlesap. ATA boxes will actually give you a BIG TIME headache. I've tried ATA boxed from several vendors (cisco, audiocodes etc) and nothing works more than 70% at average. I would install either an analog extension for each and every fax. Time spent on troubleshooting ATA will easily defend these costs.

dlesap also refers to install a media gateway on this location, but this depends on how many users there are in this building. For less than 50 users I would personally recommend SRG as an alternative. With this you have some kind of local redundancy if you have a local BRI attached, plus you get atleast 8 analog extension you can connect to the digital tn's of the SRG.

I2007

yes you do get some problems with ATA boxes but through trial & error i found that fax machines that were under 2 years old & were T38/G4 compatible were ok, i did need to do some tweaking with the re-register timeings as the CS1k wanted a gatkeeper refresh every 50 seconds & the FXS/ATA box was refreshing every 30, so was only available 1/2 the time. But dont be but off i would try 1 & see how you get on over a week. Good luck :)

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back