Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voip conversion nt8b79fee6

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcin4

ISP
Aug 20, 2017
US
We have a customer that has existing nortel system with 2 nt8b79fee6 door controllers.
I understand that the BSTs are digital and I can not simply plug it in to ATA adapter.
My idea is to connect ata to a phone system and reprogram it to bridge BST to "DID"
Perhaps there is a better way without buying new doorphones and analog controllers?

What is it you are trying to do?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Customer want to keep the functionality of door phone and door unlock from phones.
Currently they have nortel but we are converting the location to sip based voip.
We are looking for the way to utilize the existing door controllers.

You are still not very clear....
"My idea is to connect ata to a phone system"

Are you replacing the Norstar sets with IP Phones and SIP trunks or just the trunks to SIP or installing a new system?

If you are removing the Norstar then you need to remove the Norstar Door Phones and it's DOC unit.
You can buy SIP Door Phones at places like or

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

We are replacing all phones with sip phones running on hosted PBX.
To utilize existing door controllers I was thinking to connect sip ATA to nortel system as inbound lines and then reprogram nortel system to "bridge" the ATA provided inbound lines to door controllers.
Perhaps there is other way I am not seeing.

SIP ATA's cannot connect to the digital ports on a Norstar
Door Phones call Sets or ATA's...not Trunks.

If your SIP/ATA device has Trunk mode then there would be a chance and no further parts required.

Norstar ATA is wired to SIP/ATA (Trunk Mode)
Door Phone calls Norstar ATA
SIP/ATA Trunk told to ring at set/s

User answers call and press's 6 to open door.

That's all I can think of off hand.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Thank you for your help.
How to program norstar to bridge DID with the extension of bst directly?

That's along way to go to accommodate a door opening system. I find it funny that modern day IP systems can't handle the task that the older TDM based systems could do without breaking a sweat.

Instead of trying to hillbilly engineer a solution just to hang onto some old Nortel door opening systems, you really should look at the Algo solution as Curly suggested. These units have both the doorphone and door opening controller all built into the same unit. I always use them when replacing any Nortel system with an emetrotel system. Because they are SIP, they will work well with a hosted solution. The doorphone that comes with it is an exact replica of the Nortel doorphone so all you need to do is replace the unit itself m(Itakes about 10 minutes). The mounting box and wiring are the same. The rest of the work is done in software on the controller via it's GUI interface. Vey easy to set up and has several cool little options. They were obviously going with it as a direct Nortel replacement system.

In any case, you can do what you with but it seems like an awful lot of work just to hang onto some old stuff.

Yes indeed my first thoughts.

"How to program norstar to bridge DID with the extension of bst directly?"
Not sure what that means as DID is for Target lines on a PRI/T1 but if you do Feature 9*4 to enter door phone programming you can tell it which DN to call.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back