Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VOIP connectivity though a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

gturrubi

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
US
We have a Cisco VPN installed and working for everything except for our VOIP or should I say SIP system. Connected to our VPN is a Cisco 2950T switch and I want to allow users connecting to the VPN to launch a client on their local PC to initiate a call as if they were located physically in the building. The client makes the calls though a usb connection from the headset to the PC and the client controls all the calls. I can not seem to get this to work. I can initiate a call or the user can through the VPN and I can see them calling me but we never hear each other on the call, any Ideas out there?

does the sip signaling look right ? if so maybe your rtp isn't making it through the firewall.

I found a problem similar to this at one of our sites, it was a mismatch on the Codec settings. In this case it was Nortel equipment but you may have the same problem. Both sites we set to use 729 but one end had an additional option that required a 729 varient. I found it by using the latest version of the free network analyzer called Packetyzer. This has most VoIP decodes and breaks the 225/245 handshaking/negotiation down , actually better than Sniffer@ Voice does. Look for each site presenting and agreeing on the Codec and who is the master. You'll see 6 or 7 capability types from each site. On these sites the only compatable Codec was G711 , choice 5 so thats what was used. When we deleted that entry in the switch ther wasnt a compatable Codec so the call behaviour was the same as you're experiencing, call setup, set rings, pickup no party.

---p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back