Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voip calling from outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

joblack23

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2008
US
Just curious if there are any 3rd party software that will allow to use exiting voip and make calls directly from outlook contacts. Would be a time saver for our situation.

thanks in advance.
Jo

Anything that has a TAPI driver available will happily make phone calls using Outlook contacts--not just IP solutions, but also TDM systems that offer any kind of CTI.

You might want to be more specific about your situation for more specific information.

Hi jkupski,

I was hoping to get a solution for work environment. Perhaps I am not understanding the available solutions. I've tried a few things and dont' see how they would work.
we have a voip that i can connect a secondary card to the phone and receive a dhcp address on the pbx subnet. We used this config to access the interface for phone changes (not me). I've tried a few available software but no go. Any chance you can provide some more info?

Thanks in advance.

Again, you're not providing enough information. What brand/model of phone system is it? Which applications are you installing that are failing to work? How are you comfiguring them?

You mention that you're not the PBX administrator (at least that's what I take away from the "not me" bit) so you're probably limited as to what you can accomplish here. Have you tried getting this person on board with your project? If you don't HAVE an in-house PBX admin and this is all being outsourced to a vendor, have you asked them?

Thanks for your response again.

We are using Mitel 3300 and i've used a few apps such as ESI-Address which seemed a bit more versital as it allows (or at least I can see a secondary address available). My PC is connected to the internal network with a secondary card on the phone subnet. The phone is connected to both.

I can access the interface which sometimes I help out to make changes to phones. However, this is not sometime on their scop of work and so it is left to us to investicate. Some of our users have requested for a solution.

My problem is that non apps will show a connection. Again thanks for your help.

Jo

Mitel has a desktop client called Unified Communicator. They have 2 flavors a free version and an advanced version.
both will dial from outlook. they both Support the Mitel 3300. Two things:

1. Make sure you have Unified Communicator Advanced 2.0 UR1 (2.1.0.6)

2. Make sure your 3300 Software is running at least Rel 8.0 UR3 and later.

we were using it in our office and it works well.

Thanks for your reponse Telecomp9424

I've downloaded the Qnext which I think is one of the Unified Communicators you are mentioning. I still have some quetions:
As mentioned my phone is connected to the PC via a secondary card and I can query both subnets. However, in the software it does not allow me to specify the voip subnet. for some reson defaults to the main network IP address which I don't want. The software loads coorectly and looks like is talking via port 443 and 5237 with no errors. No connection. (i've checked the firewall ports and both ports are open).

I am invisioning this to work in the same way in old days we had the PC connected to the modems: dial and pick up the handset making the call.

Thanks guys. I've got the Unified communcator and works good. A few routing issues but I think this will work.

thanks again to eveyone

i never heard that there was any solution for using voip service via outlook express.

Working as team leader for axvoice dot com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back