Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail won't go out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomVH

Technical User
May 22, 2007
US
I have an Octel 250 with a Definity G3. Someimes, after a user listens to his voicemail messages, his voicemail light remains lit. If I clear amw all [ext number], the light goes out; but, a new voicemail message doesn't re-light the light. I have re-booted the system and the problem goes away - but it comes back in a week or so. Any clues?

How many ports do you have setup for MWI on the Octel? and what kind of ports are you using?

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

I have no idea how many MWI (message waiting indicators?) are on this system. I poked around in the General System Parameters and the System Management pages but didn't find any reference to MWI ports. Where do I need to look?

Look in menu 4 under port config. Then look for the M column and see how many have a Y under it. How many users on the system?
Also how many ports?

It could be you have ports that are taking calls and also doing MWI and that can cause this to happen. Or you may be using a Voice Bridge. Do you have any other box that is hooked to the Octel ? Black or red and white?

Sounds like you are not very familiar with the Octel and you should not just reboot the Octel. This can cause other problems if it is not done right.

Ken Means

Ken - I have 24 installed ports with 18 authorized and 18 used. Looking at the port assignments under Menu 4, we have 2 ports with a Y in the M column. They are on port 1H (ext 7008) and port 2H (ext 7016). All other columns on these two ports have N's in the columns. This Octel 250 connects to a Definity with no other boxes hooked up. Looking at Menu 13, we are authorized for 600 voice messaging and have used 284 and 87 application for a total of 371 mailboxes used.
You are absolutely correct - I am not very famailiar with the Octel. All I really know how to do is add and delete voicemail boxes. I have not had any training on the administration or maintenance on this box. The thing has been running fine for years. Then, recently, we started getting this error - folks listen to their messages and the light stays lit. It is not consistant will all users. It is very random. Based on what you directed me to here, we might have something wrong with one of these two ports which would explain why it isn't consistant 100% of the time. Your thoughts?
Tom

sometimes, mailbox A could have the same subscribers extension number as mailbox B. Since the MWI is triggered on this field and not the mailbox number, you could have two (or more) mailboxes toggling one MWI.

If you go to menu 20 and you can run a port test to see if dialtone is on all ports. It may be that one of the MWI ports is bad. You can also run a CDR for event 18 on the mailbox number and see if the octel is turning it off but the PBX is not.

Ken Means

Ken - I went to the 20 menu and ran the dialtone test. It showed that ports 1G and 1H were bad. Since 1H is one of my two MWI ports, I suspect that to be the problem. Port 1G equates to 7007 in my system. I dialed that and got an earful of a god-awful noise. I shutdown the system, powered it off and swapped the board in slot 2 with the board in slot 4 since ports 3G and 3H are unassigned in my system. After re-booting the system, I re-ran the dialtone test and found that 1G and 1H were now okay; however, ports 1C and 1D showed bad. I did another shutdown and swapped boards in slot 2 and 3. After the re-boot, ports 2C and 2D failed the dialtone test confirming that the FLT now in slot 3 has ports C and D bad. It looks like I have two bad FLT boards which I will hunt down on the internet.
Thanks for all of your help with this. I really appreciate the education. I feel like I owe you a lunch.
tom

Based on the above, I now have two bad voicemail ports on the Octel out of the 16 available. They connect to a Definity G3. Is there a way to busy these ports out in the Octel so folks don't get stuck on them with no answer? Or is there a way to busy these two ports out in the Definity? I have a new FLT board ordered and would un-busy these two ports when the new board arrives.

You can but you would need to move the MWI to diff ports and that can be a problem. The port that turns on the light must be the one to turn it off so you would have users with lights on that will not go out due to the port change.

Also if they are MWI ports then they should not be in the hunt group now.

you would need to run the AT&T utility from the reformat options to clear all MWI before you move the ports

Ken Means

The new FLT board arrived and went in smmoth as silk using menu 13 and sub-menu 11. Thanks for the assistance.
tom

If you have any lingering MWI issues, I would suggest (like Ken) running reformat option 8 from chicken lips. (I think it is in menu 20.9 - SMT utilities???) Just run option 1 then option 2. Not option 3.
Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back