Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voicemail transfer question 4.2.24

Status
Not open for further replies.

akb1111

Programmer
Aug 28, 2008
US
hey guys,

sorry for the dumb question...

i have a 406v2 (4.2.11) and VM Pro (4.2.24). im trying to set up a short code for "direct voicemail transfer"......for some reason its not working??

i have set the following short code....

SC: #XXX
Feature: VM collect
Tel number: #N

for some reason its not working?? when i put the "#N" in the telephone number field, it puts quotation marks around it? is this right??

anyways, just wondering if someone could help out.

thanks!

just the # should be in quotes, not the N.

It should be as follows

SC: #XXX
Feature: voicemail collect
Tel number: "#"N

okay

did this change in the new release

If Im not mistaken it changed in the first release of 4.2

i dont think it does.

i have always done it without the quotes at all. did an install with this yesterday.
the problem is that manager puts the quotes in for you. "helpful"

set the code up and hit enter, change the feature to something other than vm collect, take the quotes out then change the feature back to vm collect and the quotes should stay away

mine always look like

#XXX
VM Col
#N

This how it should be:
"#"N

This from 4.2
It should not work if done different

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

interesting.

i have always just used #N without quotes.

if you get a chance give it a try, i assure you it works.

I did it once and indeed it worked but there was something with it but i don't know what

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

IP Office Technical Tip
Tip No: 210
Release Date: 19 August 2008
Region: Global
Editing and Creating VoiceMail Collect Short Codes in IP Office Manager 4.1(15) and later
This Technical Tip supersedes Technical Tip 108 (4th Nov 2005)
VoiceMail Collect short codes generally use constant strings in the Telephone Number field, but if they are configured without enclosing the string in quotes any special characters (See "Short Code Characters" in Manager help file) are processed causing a mismatch with the required VoiceMail start point.
To reduce these issues, the Manager for IP Office 4.1(15) and Release 4.2 introduces behaviour where the Telephone Number is checked, if there are no quotes the whole field is included in quotes. This only applies to VoiceMail Collect shortcodes and only when they are created or the Telephone Number field is edited in an existing short code.
This means that the shortcode example given in Technical Tip 108 for direct to VoiceMail transfer now becomes:

Code #XXXX
Feature Voicemail Collect
Telephone Number “#”N
Line group 0

Note: the 'X' characters must be upper case
When editing any existing VoiceMail Collect short codes, even the default *17, care must be taken to ensure that if the Telephone Number is changed then special characters that are intended (U in the case of *17, N in the above example) are outside the quotes ("?"U). Multiple pairs of quotes can be used if required.
For the very rare occasions where a short code is needed where the Telephone Number only contains special characters it is possible to create the required short code by having a pair of quotes with nothing between them at the start or end of the Telephone Number.
I hope this helps

Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.Or is that another upgrade?

TomMills is right. Your SC Tel No. - #N is right. When the quotation marks appear change the feature to VM Node - hit OK & the quotation marks will disappear, then change the feature back to VM Collect - hit OK & the quotation marks will not appear.

I never use the "" in mine and it has always worked. i usually make a code and leave it dial and hit ok then change it to VM Collect.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I think what I have been seeing is that systems upgraded to 4.2 that did not have the quotes will continue to work without the quotes. New systems seem to need to have the quotes. I could be wrong about this but it seems to be the case.

i have done a few new systems (4.2) and made the shortcodes without the quotes. but it seems to work both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back