Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voicemail to email

Status
Not open for further replies.

puss1946

Vendor
Jul 3, 2014
US
I'm trying to set up voicemail to email on a ip 500 basic version 11.0.0.74 using GMX. I tried using (smtp)
mail.gmx.com port 587 starttls with and without server requires authentication and it will not work. I also tried doing it with port 465. With the GMX I enabled access via pops & imap. Any help would be appreciated.

You can run a monitor trace and see what the server is responding with. I have never used GMX for this before but I know gmail for example needs to have "less secured apps" allowed or it won't work. Could be a similar setting needed for GMX.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

I have never done a monitor test before. What is involved please.

You can run sysmonitor.exe from the monitor folder (default path C:\Program Files (x86)\Avaya\IP Office\Monitor). You will have to set the IP of the IPO and set the password to connect to the system (which is the system password, NOT the administrator password, by default it is "password" but R11 makes you change this). Once connected go to filters>trace options and select the clear all button. On the call tab check emailed under embedded email column. Go to services tab and check SMTP. Go to system tab and enable error and print. Now try to leave an email for a user with vm to email enabled and monitor will spit out information. If it says it queued the message you have to reboot and try again.

I decided to go to gmail and that doesn't work either. I used smtp.gmail.com with server required authentic checked and starttls checked and port587 with user name and passsword. That did not work. They have Comcast for internet. I used default gateway
10.1.10.1 with dns 76.76.76.76--75.75.76.76. Tried using gmail gateway 8.8.8.8---8.8.4.4 that didn't work. I did the monitor and left a message and it leave any results. The monitor showed I was in the system I'm working on. I have used gmail before and it worked so I think I'm missing something. I'ts been about three years since I've installed an IP 500. The last one I used gmail the customer said they had to reset somethings if voicemail wasn't used very often. Thanks I'm using IP office mode

You have to enable "less secure apps" in the gmail account or it won't work. Just a note it now looks like gmail will stop supporting less secure apps as of May 30th so it will stop working once that happens.

You can log into system status and run a ping to 8.8.8.8 confirming the system has internet access. If ping to 8.8.8.8 fails you do not have access to the outside world hence why it is failing.

As far as monitor you need to setup specific filters to see voicemail to email messages. As far as "reset something" only thing I can think of is if the system fails to send a voicemail to email you need to reboot the system before it will attempt to send messages again (it will just queue them forever).

I get into system status but I don't see how to ping. Monitor is working. I can ping from my lap top using cmd

I set up for gmx and it's working now. Thank You for your help. I did learn somethings. That I might not use again I'm supposed to be retired. What are you going to use when gmail quits?

You can ping in system status under network section. Glad you got it working. I hear that outlook works for voicemail to email as does gmx so hopefully they continue to work for a while.

Id say I hope Avaya adds support for regular TLS and/or stops requiring less secure apps to work but that is a pipe dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back