Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail to Email, SMTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanyed02

Programmer
May 30, 2008
US
OK, having difficult time troubleshooting this one. Customer sight is IPO 500, running 5.0(18). Voicemail Pro 5.0(25) on new HP PC running Vista Premium. System is running tip top, one small problem. Many users have Voicemail to Email setup. Some set to forward, some set to copy. 90% of the time, this appears to be working properly. Customer had called numerous times now to state that they have voicemails on their phone, but never got them in their email. Everytime we test, it works just fine. I went and ran a VM Debug, and I did find 3 instances where emails were unsuccessfully sent to the user in the last week.

Example from debug:

19/10 15:06:25.237 vmprov5s (09,5) 9e0,1224: Session: 00000215 - EMailerRequest::Send: Queued email request for shane@********.com, subject is Voicemail Message (ABCDEF INC. > SDorn) From:5551212, use EMAPI=false

19/10 15:06:33.066 vmprov5s (14,2) 9e0, af0: Error 7 sending email to shane@*********.com

I then ran some tests. I started Monitor, and a fresh VM debug. I called from internal extension, let ring, left a VM, tracked, successful! I then called internally, transferred to VM box, left message, Success! I then called in from external, transferred to VM, left message, tracked, successful! External, transfer to VM, Success! External, direct AA, choose extension, VM Box, Success! I then set system into night service, repeated procedures, Success! I cannot duplicate why certain messages do not get sent... any suggestions? If there is any info I am leaving out, let me know and I can re-post with more specifics.

I found logs in Debug from 2 different users, both instances were during regular business hours. There are no alarms in System Status for VM Channels in use or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

Roughly how frequently are they complaining that it hasn't emailed?

Are there any themes in the times that they complain? every friday? every day at 4? etc etc.

ACSS-SME
fo shizzle ma nizzle.

No pattern in times. I searched the old VM Debug log again. There was one failed attempt at 7:11 a.m 10/15/2010, from an IP Phone on the system to another extension at main office. Left VM but was not forwarded to email, error (14,2)

There was another failed attempt at 4:30 p.m. 10/16/2010 The system was in Night Service, and the external caller navigated around in the AA menus, ended up in the General Mailbox. Voicemail was left, but failed to send to email, error(14,2)

The last instance I saw was around 3:00 p.m.10/18/2010, external caller to main number, transferred to extension, ring no answer, caller left VM, no transfer to email. Same error(14,2)...

@ panchocanti,

VM Pro is installed on a PC that they use as a "Server". It's on 24/7, does not hibernate, etc. All services are set to restart on failure. They do not have any other problems associated with the Voicemail, just this flakey email issue.

@ deanyed02

Nice job !! Well done ¡¡
Thought I need a server for this.
Can u tell how to configure this ? , when u solve the issue.

I'd suggest that you look at the other end. Is this sending to a local SMTP server or a remote one?

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Is it a message being left on a group mailbox?

ACS - IP Telephony + IP Office
ACA - Too many to remember
ACSS - Would do it but i don't get a free TShirt anymore!

I have found failed instances of both, group and individual. I have also found successful cases of both. Thing is, MOST of the time this works flawlessly. I will have them contact their email provider and make sure they are not flagging any messages coming from voicemail@ ... It's odd that only one message out of, say, 20, doesn't go through.

are the messages that don't go through long messages ie big filesize that the email rejects

Good idea DanACS, but size does not seem to be a deciding factor. I did call and left a 90 second VM, which after tracking, went through and forwarded fine.

run a continuous ping to the smtp server see if there are any interuptions over a lengthy period.

so - set up outlook express on the vm machine - or some other mail client, and try and replicate the same problem by sending test messages with attachments, and that way outlook will throw up any errors and you will actually be able to see what's going on with the mail relay with e big dirty error message. perhaps its limited to a certain number of relays / <time>, or some other network anomaly that's causing the SMTP session to time out.

hsm,

Did that. Email client is set up. I have sent messages to, and generated messages from, same account that is forwarding the voicemails. I attached a big log dump. Sent fine. I attached the monitor dump. Sent fine. I went through and added random .wav files from their VM Accounts folder, as well as the actual messages that they didn't recieve, and it all goes through fine. For now anyways. Been running a ping -t now, while sending, and ave. round trip is 73ms. There are random replies with extended rtt's, but no time outs or failures....

Could either the machine running vm pro or the server where the mail resides be bogged down with another app or services when some are coming through and miss it somehow??? Could it related to the number of simultaneous transactions?

I did run some more email tests, as well as YouTube, MSN news, etc..(trying to tie up some bandwidth) and I was able to get some REQUEST TIMED OUT responses... I have the people that host their email looking into their logs as well, haven't heard back yet. I doubt it is keyed off simultaneous transactions. Looking through the log, the dropped emails were basically isolated, i.e. there were no other emails trying to send in a window even close. Does not seem to be reaching any sort of threshold, either. Two of the dropped emails were only seperated by 6 other emails. And I've left at least 20 in a row trying to duplicate. I will wait to hear what the provider says about their log files, and whether or not the emails are even reaching the server. That will at least isoloate the location, then the Network guys can troubleshoot from there. Thanks everyone for the comments. Great ideas. That is why I love this forum.

Ok then, set up a local SMTP server (IIS will do) and bounce them off that for now, and see what happens.

Or try;

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back