Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail stopped working on all extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eibyer

Technical User
Aug 30, 2011
US
Hello,

We have a very old Merlin Messaging system that was working. Recently, not sure when it started, the voicemail function stopped working. Any calls or calls forwarded to an extension just keeps ringing.

Any hints on what we can look at to start with would be great. My impulse move would be to shut down the system and power it back up after a few seconds but I wanted to get some advice first.

Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered the card from ebay. I also got VirtualBox and WinXP installed in one of our spare laptops. My objective now is to see if I can connect to the MM module and see if I can download the structure of the vm system hoping I don't have to build from scratch?

So out of curiosity, I took a small hub and a laptop to the phone room. I connected to the LAN port, changed the laptop IP to 10.0.0.50 and tried to ping the 10.0.0.42 IP address, no go. So I'm guessing it's really dead OR the IP was changed which I doubt, it's not hooked up to the network.

I remember an adapter with a specific configuration was needed to interface with some Lucent/Avaya processors.

This might be the case here as well, but, I'm not sure [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

If the hard drive is crashed the isn't going to be any thing to pull. If you are an IT guy and have a USB adapter to connect to laptop hard drives you could verify the HD is dead. It isn't rocket science to setup the voicemail. I think you can do this. Just relax and wait for the new one.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Yeah, I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm up against. Learning the terms as I'm browsing the forums, Auto Attendant, Hunt Groups, overflow,etc so much to take in lol.

Luckily for you, the hard part of programming the Magix is already done. You just need to have a list of mailboxes and the script for the automated attendant

Is it advisable to use the Auto Configure option when setting up? As far as I know we do not have an Auto Attendant setup, we're a 24-hour healthcare facility. The calls are either answered by reception or forwarded to another extension when the front desk is closed.

I'm back for more assistance.

We installed the new module and inserted the port card. The status light flickers. The LEDs for port 1-4 and 9-12 flashes green at the same time. I dialed into 770 but it just keeps ringing. I'm wondering if the module needs to be reset first?

Curious that LEDs five through eight didn't blink.
Is the replacement voice-mail the same revision as the old?
Was a Board Renumber attempted?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

AUTO-CONFIG works well. It will assign a Voicemail Box to each "labeled" extension (the ones that have names).

I used it all the time to setup new systems.

However, it will assign your Voicemail Calling Group to the LAST Calling Group Number (7929) instead of the first one (770). Thus, extensions will have to be reprogrammed to accommodate that change. (Voice Mail button)

Dexman, the replacement is the same version as the old one. I have not done a renumber, from what I've read that's only done when a different version is being installed, plus I have zero experience doing that and what possible issues I might encounter.
PXL_20210806_234438947_1_pnuupn.jpg

I attached a pic of the system with the new module.

You have a 4 port license card, that's why 5 through 8 did not blink

Let's find out the extension numbers of the VM ports and call them directly to see if they answer that way.

You have 2 cabinets in total, correct?
Menu > Maintenance > Port > Station > *0901 > Enter
Note down the extension number
Press Next, and note down that extension number
Keep pressing Next until you have the 12 extension numbers represented by that slot.
Now call each one and see if you get an answer, ring with no answer, or a busy signal.

Hey TTT!

I followed your instruction above but I only got to one extension as I did not have "Next" option after it displayed the extension number. The only number I got was 204 (Busy Signal).

Thank you!

I think you might have to hit Details on the first one, and then the Next will appear (?)

I don't have a system in front of me to double check.

But the busy signal is a bad sign....

I'm going to the reception desk to check... will report back.

Back... for future reference if someone is looking for the same thing. Press Status after the first extension is displayed, then you'll see Next button.

Anyways... I got 12 extension:

204 busy
205 busy
206 busy
207 busy
208 ring/no answer
209 ring/no answer
210 ring/no answer
211 ring/no answer
212 busy
213 busy
214 busy
215 busy

Next extension after 215, not sure if relevant is 541.

Thank you!

You can check the status of the card with the slot selection from the maintenance menu. Enter slot nine and make sure it says normal and not standby. Another option would be to swap the hard drives on the cards. It looks like the new cards hard drive is working.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

@budybyrd, I confirmed that the slot 9 is status mode is 'normal'.

Is there a possibility that the 4 port license has gone bad? Short of that, a Board Renumber followed by an Auto Configure to start with a clean state. [ponder]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

The plastic part of the old module is so brittle I think it will fall apart if we try to put it back in the slot. I haven't looked at it closely to see if I can swap the plastic part out from the new card if I get brave enough to do the hard drive swap.

Edit: I just looked on ebay for a 4-port card and there's one for $10... tempted to throw more $$ at the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back