Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail stopped working on all extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

eibyer

Technical User
Aug 30, 2011
US
Hello,

We have a very old Merlin Messaging system that was working. Recently, not sure when it started, the voicemail function stopped working. Any calls or calls forwarded to an extension just keeps ringing.

Any hints on what we can look at to start with would be great. My impulse move would be to shut down the system and power it back up after a few seconds but I wanted to get some advice first.

Thanks!

It is basically a PC on a card. That would be my first step. Make sure the status lights blink. If they don't the hard drive is probably dead.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Thank you for the advice. I haven't been in that phone closet in a long time so I'll probably have maintenance take me there to take a picture.

On a somewhat related note, is there a vendor directory here in TekTips that we might look at in case we need to get someone to look at the system? We're outside the metro Phoenix area and the last person who worked on our system is long retired lol.

If the is a vendor list here I am unaware.

Finally got into the phone room and looked at the module. The status LED is green but the port LEDs are all off, no blink.

They should blink when it is rebooted. It is like a hard drive light on a PC.

I think it's time to hunt down a local vendor. No blinks after reboot. I dial 770 and it just keeps ringing.

They are simple to replace and you can buy them off the internet. The only issue would be programming if you don't know how. There are manuals on line as well. You may want to get a new one and give it a shot. If nothing else you will have bought the part without the vendor markup and then you can hire someone to help with programming if you can't figure it out. The system is already programmed to make it work.

Here is a link to a manual. You might give it a quick read and see if it seems like something you're willing to poke at.

Good suggestion, here's a pic of the setup that maintenance sent me yesterday. Hmm, I wonder if I'm lucky enough that the configuration was saved in the PCMCIA card??
d6481bef3ba53123939850f631cc851ae6fff168-2_bmxeeq.jpg

362c54384b42ddf5f36c12492faf0958787ea289-1_tbtgf1.jpg

Thanks for the responses by the way. I'm learning as I go, is it safe to pull the PCMCIA card while the system is on to see how many ports it has?

I wouldn't pull the card while it is running, but you should be able to read the number of ports with it in the system. I would doubt there is a backup on the card unless someone did it purposely. You never did say whether or not you have power cycled it. Much like a PC sometimes a reboot fixes things. It would also let you see if it looks like the hard drive is running. The status light will blink after a reboot if it is working.

The trick to getting the card out is use a screw driver to push up on the tab at the bottom of the card. Turning it off and reseating the PCMIA card and the VM card couldn't hurt. It is already broke.

OOps, forgot that one minor detail. Yes, they did power cycle the system yesterday afternoon. The status LED just stayed green after. Port LEDs stayed off.

Yeah. You have a dead card.

I've been checking out the manual and found a job aid for Merlin. It looks like I have to set myself up with a laptop an older OS, unless you guys have success using virtualized older versions of Windows?

How much should I be looking to pay for a used Merlin Messaging card with at least 4 port. I will have to find out how many ports we have now.

Metroline Direct lists Avaya Merlin Messaging modules, but, the pages say to call for availability.

Link

Usedphones.com might have them in stock.

If the PCMCIA card is good, it can be reused

I [love2] "FEATURE 00

You don't need a computer to program it, you can do everything from a phone.

Once the new module is in the system, dial the Voicemail Calling Group (770) and it should answer.

Set a new password, minimum length is 6 digits (default)

Press 9 for system programming

Press 1 for System Parameters, press 5 for Minimum Extension Length, set to 2, 3, or 4

Back out with *# and then 2 for extensions. Create a mailbox for each extension (enter extension number and #, press 1 to create a mailbox, press 6 to confirm that the mailbox is associated with a physical extension, *# to back up and enter the next extension)

When done with extensions, back up and hit 3 for Automated Attendants, 1 for AA#1, 1 for Day or 2 for Night, 6 to modify, set up your selector codes, don't forget Dial-0/Timeout, record a greeting. If you have a separate Night greeting, the default Dial-0/Timeout is the General Mailbox, so be sure to go back to System Parameters and set the General Mailbox owners.

The link above for the manual is right on, the steps start on page 46 of the pdf.

The current module has a 4 port card in it. Can I connect to it using Windows XP? I haven't looked yet but is the software available for download?

Edit: Thanks Tommy! We must have cross posted, good to know about the phone programming, that'll save me time installing XP on an old laptop.

Is there a way to check if there was a backup saved in the pcmcia card?

I found a used one on ebay without the port card I believe, I'm thinking it's not too expensive to give it a try?

That is a good price. The port card you already have, so you would be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back