Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail Pro with 2 NIC 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliftyview

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2014
US
Our server running the voicemail pro service has 2 ethernet NIC's. I had only been using one but turned on the 2nd for a special application. NIC #1 has a static IP of 10.10.10.100. NIC #2 has a static Ip of 10.10.10.65. When our server rebooted after updates last night voicemail pro started using 10.10.10.65. Since our Ip office 406v2 points to 10.10.10.100 for voicemail pro we lost our voicemail service. Is there a way to force voicemail pro to only use the NIC with 10.10.10.100? Thank you!

They aren't supposed to be in the same subnet, it's for seperate subnets not 2 addresses in the same LAN :)

i see that now. if I put the 2nd on a different subnet what is stopping voicemail pro from trying to use that NIC, and breaking voicemail pro again?

It talks out the relevant LAN port for the subnet, this is not Avaya specific or even related, it's networking :)

I fully agree with amriddle. And I don't see a reason why a second application should need a second IP address.

Open a elevated DOS box and type "route print"
it will list two things: a list of the available interfaces and a list of the current routing table.

Now as a example presume this:
NIC 1 has IP Address 10.10.10.100 and NIC 2 has address 10.10.10.63 both have the same subnet.

IP Address VM pro = 10.10.10.111 and must route over NIC 1

Type the following in the elevated DOS box:
route add /p 10.10.10.111 mask 255.255.255.255 IF 1

This will force all traffic to 10.10.10.111 to route over NIC 1, the /p makes the route persistent (it survives a reboot of the PC).
Sometimes Windows does not update the ip route table immediate, some patience may be necessery before it works, get a coffee, go to that nice secretary and have a chat and after a while check if it works.

Thanks intrigrant! I ended up moving my special application to a new server and all is well now. You tip will come in handy in the future.

Shows again that he's not just a pretty face.

Now experiencing escalation fatigue.

You would still typically add a second address to the LAN port instead of using the second port though :)

I agree om AMRIDDLE01s comment but some wackos decide different

I am always amazed whtn it turns out that a PBX engineer knows more about Data networking that the Data networking guys do :)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back