Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail message extraction to PC 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tphifer

Technical User
Oct 2, 2006
US
How can someone extract a voicemail message from a Rolm Phonemail system to a digital format like .wav or .mpg? Thanks in advance.

To the best of my knowledge, such a thing requires the unified messaging system. There is a base cost, and then it is pretty much so much per seat once you get the system. I had the budget request in for this year, and put it in again for next year, but it has not happened yet so I don't know that much about it.

That's probably not what you want to hear, but the phonemail box is older than my grandma and most of them are still running on 386 processors. Unless someone on the outside wrote some custom software to do that I think you would have to look into the expressions system. The nice thing about that is it can take care of your faxes, voicemail, and everything!

Thanks donb01. I am not sure my company will approve a new system just for one voicemail message but it does give me reason to ask. =) Thanks again.

One other suggestion, just for the cheese factor... You could set up a RP400HR phone, having the blue pair running the phone as usual, and on that phone, everything that happens on the handset is sent out the orange wires for recording purposes. You could hook the orange pair up as either a MIC input or LINE input on your PC sound card, turn on Sound Recorder and then play back the voicemail message that you want to record. it will then be stored as a WAV file on your computer. You may be able to do the same thing with the headset module and a 300/600 series phone but I have not messed around witht hose much yet.

If it is just for one message then a klugey solution like this might work for you.

Thanks donb01. That worked great. I have tested it and we can now extract voice mail messeges to wav files. Thanks for all the help. I greatly appreciate it.

donb01..hope you see this i gave you star and i hope anyone
else see it would too.great thinking on the orange/white
pair thats thinking outside the box good work..

strmwalker

Thanks strmwalker - I try. I'm taking care of 10 networked sites for a regional healthcare provider so I have had some experience with needing to record conversations - just didn't relate it to voicemail recording at first - I think I was looking for a more complicated solution and didn't see the easy one through the fog right away. I have the entire 3 CD set of documentation current as of 8/05, and pretty much self-maintain. I have a good relationship with my tech too so I can E-mail him when I have questions that don't need me to open a ticket.

I figure someday I'm gonna need something from here, so I try to build the goodwill now!!

donb01-that's really a good idea...I love it but I have one problem, I dont have the HR version of the phone. If I found a PC based phone dialer and dialed into the voicemail using the pc as a phone, I would be able to turn on the sound recorder on the pc and record everything right? The quality may not be great but in theory it should work.

Yeah, if you configured an analog phone line and dialed in with a PC in such a way that you can still dial digits after the call connects you should be able to do it. It's been a billion years since I played with PC-based phone dialing, but most of what I used to dial (like ACT! Contact Management) would not allow you to dial extra digits (to manipulate phonemail) once the call was connected. Otherwise if you have your basic sound blaster card you should be able to configure the sound recorder for "what you hear" and it should record whatever plays out the PC speakers.

Sounds like a good plan. The other trick, if you get a modem that will let you pick up an extension without disconnecting, is to have an analog extension hooked up to dial the extra digits.

You can use an analog line and use a Y adapter that splits the white blue into two jacks. One to the phone to dial the other to the input mic of the PC. If you use an older phone that you can unscrew the transmitter you get excellecnt sound.

Suttle makes a Y adpater just for the handset cord that does the same thing on a digital set. I have one under my phone when someone needs something recorded.

You can import .wav files from the Xpressions voicemail into your p.c. by going into the xpressions gui: http//xpressions/. That will bring up a screen that you type in your telephone extension and your voicemail password. From there you can go to the mail client inbox. Flyover the message you want to import. Click it and in the attachment box that appears, click it and save it to your p.c.

Its actually that easy....for a change.

I use HiPath 4000 and the old PhoneMail. The solution we use to record voicemails for archival is to connect a MX-10 headset amplifier to the phone. The MX-10 connects to the phone and has inputs/outputs to a PC for audio. We use Windows Media Encoder (free download) to record. We dial Phonemail and play the phonemail as normal, and they are nicely recorded into WMA, MP3 or whatever codec we choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back