Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail: Distributed, Remote, Not registered, Uninitalised, Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexLD

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2011
US
Ah the joys of distributed voicemail. We've been using it for ages since we were one of the original beta sites for it but not it is broken. While our ticket with Avaya works its way up the chain of support there I thought I would see if anyone has any ideas here.

We were running VMailPro 8.0.8.29 on all 8 distributed VM servers. We always replace our physical hardware every 3 years and this year it was time for site "B" to get an upgrade. We went virtual of course with ESX 5.0 update 1 (most of our VMPro systems run on ESX at this point.) The upgrade seemed to go fine, installed Win 2008 R2, copied the custom WAV files over, imported the local call flows, tweaked everything the way we like it, made sure the SMTP was set right and was working. Checked communication using dbgview and saw that the sync had started. All the account folders were created and I walked away to let it sync. Little did I know things had already gone pear shaped. Two days later I noticed that the status had not changed from "Starting" to "Up-To-Date".

SMTP is working, the messages are flowing, but on the remote site we get the usual cryptic message in dbgview "Distributed, Remote, Not registered, Uninitialised, Alive" while the centralised server appears to not have any pertinent error messages on it as it looks like the sync is starting. The two sites can communicate, the auto attendant portion of VMPro is working fine at site B. However, when an extension rings, VMPro never picks up. So aside from it being out of sync, the local VMPro box isn't even taking messages.

At Avaya's suggestion we upgraded the centralised and remote servers to 8.0.1011.0 with no improvement.

One thing we did notice in this process is that I didn't name the new VMPro server with the same name as the old one (same IP address). Avaya had us rename it several times and change IPs. Avaya has verified that the SMTP messages are flowing, but the initial tiers are at a loss. Anyone heard of this before? This is now a full two weeks of down time at this site and the natives are getting restless....

It does not work on 8.0 somehow.
I could not get it working either.
It should work again in 8.1

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Since we were a beta site for the distributed VMPro it had been working for ages. The part that irks me is Avaya seems to be so unresponsive about the ticket. When you were unable to get it working was the manifestation similar?

Was the old machine in a domain?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Yep, the old one was, it was removed and we then put the new one on the domain. The machine names were not the same however. For some reason 3 years ago this remote site's machine name had a typo in it that I new noticed. The new server is named correctly.

Alex, I had the same error.
I have been trying for 3 days but I kept getting the same error.
One site did not show it and the other did.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I did a lot of lab testing, and distributed VM does not work on 8.0. It is also broken on the newest 7.0.35 VM image, just upgraded a working 7.0.16 system last night and it is now broken....

Hi,

We're currently doing a setup with the same scenario, using the latest 8.0 release, have anyone of you had any luck with getting it to work, or is it simply dead 8.0-wise? Anyone tried to upgrade to 8.1?

Thanks,

Emil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back