Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail disabled for user but bridged appearance can STILL send 'direct to voicemail' 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

alceryes

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2019
US
IP Office 500 V2 (manager v10.0.0) using embedded voicemail

I need to completely disable voicemail for a particular user. Easy, right? Go to voicemail tab for user and un-check 'Voicemail On'.
The problem is that admins with bridged appearances for this user can STILL send directly to voicemail for that user. What's the easiest way to turn off the ability for the admins to even send to the users voicemail?

Yes, yes, tell the admins not to do it. Unfortunately that route isn't working :(.

Exactly how are they sending it to his voicemail?

They are using the #XXXX short code. Basically, transfer, #XXXX, and transfer again. I just want to stop them from being able to do it for one user.

Thanks Joe!

Make a shortcode of # + user's extension, aimed at whatever is appropriate for the situation. i.e. if user is extn 1234 and you want the attempt to result in a busy signal, make #1234 result in barred. That, or tell offending users to not.

Mike Forrence

Each user has a mailbox assigned wether enabled or not.
I don't think there is a way to completely block a mailbox other then instruct the user not to send calls to a mailbox,

Give them a different extension with a short code pointing to it. i.e. Real ext 1239, short code 123/dial/1239, then they have an ext and mail box on 1239 but not 123. Only draw back it will show the real ext on the display, but they would have to work real hard to send something to it. I would also exclude them from the directory. Admittedly not a prefect solution.

Didn't notice until I hit enter that it is a bridged apperance, So... nevermind [dazed]

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Thanks for all your answers!
mforrence's answer seems to be the easiest but I have another shortcode who's numbers are the first two numbers to this person's extension. IOW, I have #XXXX shortcode, AND #12XX shortcode who's feature is called 'Conference Meet Me'.
The shortcode I want to make (per mforrence's post) would be #1234. Would this interfere with a #12XX shortcode? I seem to remember something about shortcodes being executed from most specific to least specific, meaning that the #1234 would live and work fine with the #12XX code but my memory is foggy on the matter.

TIA!

both shortcodes should live happily together but you still cannot stop someone using Visual Voice to send a VM to any other user (or Group) on the system.

conf bridge 24 would not be useable though.

The most effective solutions is to instruct users that they must not send calls direct to VM but always call the user first (& enforce Via HR if necessary)

Otherwise remove the bridged appearance

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Is this Essential Edition or Preferred Edition? If it's Preferred Edition (Voicemail Pro) couldn't the leave action be manipulated with drop call to prohibit a message from being left?

in VmPro you can also right click on the user and disable the mailbox there

Than the mailbox will still pick up and the greeting will play but no message can be left

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Gave Wrenchmonkey a star for the suggestion but thinking further I don't think it would affect the visual voice message option :)

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

The user mentioned on his first line that this is embedded voicemail.
I think the best solution would be #[extn] with the action set as barred, etc. as mforrence mentioned.

"Make a shortcode of # + user's extension, aimed at whatever is appropriate for the situation. i.e. if user is extn 1234 and you want the attempt to result in a busy signal, make #1234 result in barred. That, or tell offending users to not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back