Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voicemail codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpadie

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
FR
The company i used to work for used an avaya PBX with integrated voicemail and fax to email functionality.

i have a whole bunch of voicemails in wav format and have been asked to be a witness in a court case where those voicemails will be evidence.

unfortunately i cannot play them any more. i have tried loads of different programs (on windows XP sp2) including WMP, itunes, quicktime, mediamonkey, audacity. i have also tried copying them to a mac and playing. no joy. i can play all other wav files.

is there any know-how on resolving this?

Thanks
Justin

thanks - great tip and i should have stfw more than i did.

but ... no joy on the problem front. the applet reports "unrecognised or unsupported .wav file".

some more info:

g-spot (on a winXP sp2 box) reports that the relevant codec is installed but does not tell me which one. when i try to load and render a sample voicemail, g-spot says it is using quartz.dll for the filtering (as both wave parser and default sound device) and then when i try to render the sound (using the g-spot terminology)i get the message "failed to connect output pin [pin address] on wave parser to input pin [pin address] ("Audio Input Pin (rendered)") on filter .... Cannot play back the audio stream, the format is not supported)

Try playing them on another computer. It sounds like which ever program is your default media player is corrupt. Do you have access to the original *.lvp's?

In the future everything will work...

thank you. as posted above i have tried them on a pc and a mac in loads of different players. since your post i have also tried them on another pc. same behaviour. this is 6 different files stored in six different emails in different psts so it is unlikely to be wholesale corruption.

so far as i am aware there was never an lvp. the voicemail was delivered in wav form and I never saw anything else. They date from 5 years ago.

What if you rename them?

or

Check the properties:

Bit Rate: 88kbps
Audio Sample Size: 8 bit
Channels: 1 (mono)
Audio Sample Rate: 11khz
Audio Format: PCM

You may be able to save them to those parameters and test...

Thanks,
CJH

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ARISTOTLE 384-322 B.C.

thanks. have tried this although I could not set the bit rate with the program i am using (audacity). at lower sample rates (audacity and g-spot both try to play it at 44100 Hz)i can "see" the data in the info screens as peaks and troughs but it plays like a bunch of static that lasts three minutes (or more). i've tried varying the sameple rate to see whether it makes a difference but have been unable to get good results or discernable voice.

is there a better (free...) program that you'd recommend for this job?

cheers
Justin

1) What application are you using to save the files?

2) When all else fails, try the VideoLan (VLC) client. It plays virtually every type of media file you can throw at it. It can be found a It doesn't have a very fancy, crisp interface, but I've not yet found a file that I couldn't play with it...aside from *.rm.

-DJ PlaZma
Single-Handedly Keeping the 80s Alive!

They may not actually be .wav files but Avaya formatted files (.avp). Try using the Avaya Voice Player.

James Middleton
ACSCI/ACSCD/MCSE
Xeta Technologies
jim.middleton@xeta.com

the vlc app could not read the files. it said i did not have the right codec. this is in contradiction to g-spot which said i did have the right codec installed.

i believe i have the necessary wav codecs installed as i have no trouble playing other variants.

@jimbojimbo
thanks - this was suggested above but did not work. I used to play these files through windows media player on win NT and win 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back