Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice VLANs & 9640 phones rebooting. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binkoba

IS-IT--Management
Aug 31, 2011
US
Avaya says my IP phones are randomly rebooting because I have them on the same VLAN and cable as PCs.

I have changed a site to be set up this way and the reboots stopped.

Avaya cannot explain why. Does anybody know what is happening here please?

"its best practice" is not a good enough explanation for me.

All other best practices I have seen have a reasonable reason for existing.

Thansk for your help/

IP Office Server Edition 10.1 (Virtual)
400 users
Silverpeak Edge Connect Hybrid WAN
30 Sites

I don't think anyone on here will be able to explain exactly what is happening here without extensive wireshark traces of exactly when the reboot occurs and comparing them to the Avaya logs.

My "GUESS" is that there are packets on the data network which the Avaya phones don't like and it causes a reboot. You may want to look into that separately as you may have some rogue data on your data network.

Best practice is to have a separate Voice VLAN for the phones as this creates a nice clean, unchatty broadcast domain for the phone to operate in. Can you explain why "Best Practice" isn't good enough for you?

Would you rather waste 100's of hours wiresharking the problem in order to discover a antivirus app update packet causes the phones to reboot? Then what?

Or just segregate the phones from the data.

ACSS (SME)

Just, so you know. I have Wireshark traces of the reboots. They show nothing, Avaya has those traces and they can see nothing in the logs or traces that correspond.
Do you just do things to your network that you do not understand? worse than that, nobody understands or can explain. I do not.

This is the first , and only time ever in my career, which started in 1983, that I will be implementing something that nobody can explain. That is weird.

400 users
30 Sites

Obviously there is something wrong in the way VLANs are implemented.
We always use VLAN separation and never run into a scenario like this unless we did something stupid.
And despite the years of experience stupid errors still happens.

What switches are you using and what firmware are they running?

ACSS (SME)

I am using HP 2920-48G-POE+ Switch (J9729A), Firmware WB.16.04.0009.
HPE Support has been involved too and there logs do not show what is going on.

I am just going to move ahead with the separate VLANs, as we have one site using that already and the phones are staying up.

I have an inquisitive mind. Just wanted to know why. I just don't blindly implement systems without understanding the technology behind it.

We do not need VLANs for for QOS as we do this using different technologies.

Thanks for all the help.

400 users
30 Sites

I had this once where some PC's where spamming DHCPv6 requests so much that it dragged the network down and the phones rebooted.

Once the PC's where identified and IPv6 turned off it fixed the issue.

This was even with separate VLAN's.

I think the phones missed a heartbeat with the IPO and that's what caused the reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back