Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice to text 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyman43

Technical User
Nov 17, 2002
US
Anyone know of voice to text software or hardware that can be used in online games such as Soldier of FortuneII.I don't know how these players communicate so fast while playing,unless they are superfast typers.

Thanks

skyman43: They probably are not typing that fast, and they probably are not reading that fast... They are probably in fact speaking directly to each other as you would over a telephone.

All you need is a headphone mic and a sound card to plug it into, and a software download. Oh, and here's the URL for the download:
By the way, you do not need the "full" version...the shareware version works just fine. ;)

Good luck,

Matthew Janes

Everything in its right place...

Generally those of us who play games regularly (or more specifically 1 particular game) have many many shortcuts configured.

This basically allows you to press a button and have pre-typed text sent. In games such as Half Life/CS you can have full scipting to do an array of things.

I'll second Roger Wilco. It works really well for gameing.

thanks for the info all.Maybe I don't quite understand.How is it that they are talking and yet I'm able to read what they are saying.I'm not using any software that you have mentioned and I don't have a microphone hooked up.

If it is text on screen then its almost certainly keybound text, ie:

In quake 3 there used to be set map areas such as Lower Hall, Main courtyard etc and could be displayed by somehing like %M or similar. People would maybe bind "Enemy Spotted in %M need assistance" to a mouse or keyboard button.

In counter strike we had no such feature so we had a LOT of messages bound.

Of course they may just be fast typers, but not likely.

Out of curio any game in particular you are refering too?

Grenage,I'm currently playing Soldier of Fortune II Gold Edition.It seems to me that some of the players are having full conversations with one another and I can read the text as they are speaking.

I'm going to go with Grenage on this one...I think they must just be spectacular typists...I've seen plenty out there that can frag, frag, frag and all the while they are typing away...amazing.

Everything in its right place...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back