Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice over CAT5e/6 for 1000'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayking

IS-IT--Management
Nov 29, 2005
CA
Hi,

I'm a cabling newbie. Is it possible to run voice line over CAT 5e/6 cables for a little less than 1000'?

Let's say if I need 4 voice lines and 4 modem lines, can I do this with 2 CAT 6 running in open space at the ceiling of a warehouse?

Thanks a lot.

Almost certainly yes. Only shortcoming is if you have a phone system and the stations have a distance limitation.
Mike

If it is a phone systems exts., you may need more than one pair per ext.
Other advice, stay away from anything electrical, the longer the run, the more important.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

I would pull a 12 or 25 pair cat3 , using cat 5 or 6 cable wont benifit you in this appilication

Thanks for the answer.

We are using Nortel BCM with T7208 phones, which I believe are 1-pair per ext.

Are there any benefits in pulling 12 pair Cat 3 over a couple Cat 5E/6? We use Cat 5E/6 just because we already have them with us so it's readily available.

Thanks.

no benfit just a single cable vs 2 or 3 and one with extra pair count , IF I had a 1,000 foot run I would want to pull extra pairs you need 8 pairs I would do 50% over so 12 pairs would be the min I would use ,so I would get a 1,000 spool of 12 pair. I would bet it would be less than half the cost of 3,000 feet of 4 pr cat5e/6(to give you the same 12 pairs

unless its a easy run and your getting paid hourly and like pulling cable and cost isnt a factor

Skip,
You have a point about the 12 pair. It might be a good idea to inquire as to any possible further need for pairs in that area, or along the cable path in the next 3 years. Also, more utilisation of the cable for additional service to other locations along or near the path, spread the cost out over more benefits. You could look like a wise comsultant offering a greater ROI.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

I always try to pull spare pairs when its practical evan if they swear there will NEVER be further needs , pairs do go bad and it would be a real pain to have to make another 1000'pull in a few months due to a bad pair .

always build in redudancy

Skip,
Agreed.

Hi skip and aarenot,

Those are very good points. While I do not anticipate more voice need in that area, it'd be hell if we need to get the contractor to come in and do it again if repair is needed. I think we'll go with the 12PR CMR Cat3 for this run.

Thanks a lot guys!

well if your paying a contractor then consider going to a 25 pair , the labor will be about the same , the material cost wont be that much more and then your covred come what may .

when they come to you next year and say we need to add 10 peaple back there ....no problem Ive got it covred .

If they come looking for more exts. down the road, say I will have to check to see if I had extra pairs run when we did that big 1000' cable. The next day, go back and say, yes, I did have them run some extra pairs, in case we needed them down the road.
I might suggest having a small service loop in the middle of the run, in case you want to add another termination point down the road. Also cool if the cable ever gets cut. The service loop costs pennies a foot, and gives you some options down the road, if you decide you want some exts. 500' into the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back