Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice Mail Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

randall5

Vendor
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hello, can anyone tell me the difference between the various voicemail units available to the Partner system. I am primarily a cabling and Norstar tech. However, we have a customer with a Patrner II and they need voicemail. Our supplier has mentioned the Partner Mail VS and the PartnerVoice Messaging (PC) solution. My question is, what is the difference? Any help is appreciated.

Randy S.

Randy,

The Partner Mail VS is a module which is the same size/shape as your Partner II Processor and any 206E, 400E, etc., modules you may have installed with it. If your Partner II is installed in a 5 slot shelf, and you have a vacant slot available, you can install the VS as you would another station/line module. No external wiring is necessary. It's a very neat solution.

Greg Suhr

Hi Randy,
Your customer can add an expansion cabinet & processor with the Partner II to gain more slots. The Partner Mail units (stand alone) have more features & more storage time also. You could go this route if the system is full. You would need as many free extensions as there are ports in the voicemail.
If their needs are very simple, consider upgrading a single cabinet Partner II to an ACS and use a PC card mail. If the system is a two cabinet one, it's time to assess their future needs in case of expansion and count the existing extensions.
In any case, the Partner II should be around R4.0 or R4.1 to interface with the voicemail system better if there is room for a voicemail.
-Chris

Hey Randy,

Partner Mail VS (Module)

Systems used with:
Partner Plus:
Partner II
Partner 48
Partner ACS

Basic config: 2 ports, 10 mailboxes
Expansion card: 2 ports, 20 mailboxes
Expansion card: 4 ports, 20 mailboxes
Expansion card: 4 ports, 40 mailboxes

Can define selector codes in menu:
Direct extension transfer
1 digit transfer
Announcement

Mailboxes:
Message maximum length is 4 minutes
Mailbox 10 can store 60 minutes
All other mailboxes can store 20 minutes
Can create guest mailboxes

Partner Voice Messaging (PC)

PCMCIA card slot on processor

System used with:
Parnter ACS only

Release 1
2 ports
4 mailboxes, 1-4, can assign extension to mailbox.
(Mailbox 1 is general mailbox)
Can store 5 minutes of messages.
To setup Automated Attendant, use mailbox 10 as greeting for callers, set mailbox 0 for no transfer, and extension 10 for no VMS coverage. In your greeting, tell callers to press 1 plus the extension to be transferred.

Release 2
2 ports
4 mailboxes, 1-4, can assign extension to mailbox.
Can store 10 minutes of messages
Auto Attendant Menu prompt
Can define selector codes

Rel 3 is a 2 port 10 mailboxes. You can get an expansion card (fairly cheap on ebay) that will expand the system to a 4 X 20 or a 4 X 40. Then Partner Mail VS rel 5 is a 2 X 40 which you can expand to a 4 X 40. Make sure that your processor is at least a release 4.1. That is the first processor to allow Voice Mail. If it does not say (some wont) Go into system programming #206. If it allows you to enter that, you can add voice mail. If it just beep at the "6" then the release isn't high enough. The most recent voice mail is Partner Messaging. 4 Auto Attendants. 99 Submenus. About 200 mboxes. If you have a syatem that would have close to 30 mboxes, I would HIGHLY suggest that you go to Partner messaging. You buy the voice mail and then purchase however many ports you need (2,4 or 6). Not sure if the Partner II or Partner Plus are compatible though.

VS R3 can only be expanded to 2x20. The 4x20 or 4x40 cards only work with the VS R4. The VS R5 comes 2x48 and can expand to 4x48. I test Partner Messaging in my Partner II test cabinet, so they appear to be compatible with the older Partner systems.

Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back