Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice mail notification when a message arrives in a different box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericscitegic

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2003
US
***The Scenario***
We have an extension with its own mailbox (for example: x220) that doesn't have a phone associated with it.

That extension currently rings at stations x210 and x218 simultaneously and with no answer goes to voice mail in the x220 box.

However since there is no physical phone associated with this virtual station/mailbox, there isn't any indication anywhere that there is a new message.

My thoughts were to set up some sort of a message notification from the 220 box to the 218 box.

However the off-premise notification (using the directory) doesn't leave a message when x218 doesn't pick up.

***Underlying Question***
Is there a way to send a message to x218's VM when something lands in x220's VM? It could either be some sort of notification, or even a copy of the message if that is easier.

Maybe the x220 mailbox could automagically send a copy of every message to x218? The human on the end of x218 would be able to get the message and go back into x220 to clear it out as necessary. Humans can be taught tricks like that. :)

Not sure how to get this to work. Any suggestions?

Here's an idea... effective but a bit cumbersom...

Put X220 onto a beat to death set buried in the tels closet. Connect an Algo Auxbox 4100 to the digital Xt circuit. Connect an Algo 1127P Desktop Visual Alerter light into the area where X218 lives. All persons will see that there are messages on X220.

PhM

Yea that looks like it would work, but the AuxBox and light are like $500 total. For that price I could put almost 4 phones on that person's desk!

I think its overkill, but a very unique idea...

Perhaps I could put a T7316 (phone with display light built in) in an out of the way place, turn off the ringer so it doesn't make noise, then bust it open and creatively run a long wire with the display light over to the x218 desk.

I'm certain that would cancel the warranty on that particular phone. ;-)

Anyone know of a software solution like automagically forwarding a copy to a different mailbox or some sort of VM notification?

Eric Bertrand
SciTegic, Inc.

Yup 500 if you buy new. Don't discount (pun intended) the refurb market.

PhM

This is not a perfect solution but may work. If you have a spare line port such as line 8, you could connect a light to the port and use the line card to provide a contact closure when off-hook. Program an out bound notification to use this line (line 8) and when the VM goes off hook to dial the light will be lit up for the duration of the dialing sequence. It will repeat as per the COS setting.

Rob

Good idea!!! Unfortunately I don't think that will work either.

We already have x220 ringing on x218, so she would be able to hear it and see it ringing. But if she isn't at her desk, no one will pick it up and a message will be left on x220.

But no one has x220 to see the message notification light/message.

Eric Bertrand
SciTegic, Inc.

Off-premise notification doesn't leave a message but you can set it up to call ext. 218 every 30 minutes nine different times or every 10 minutes 5 different times whenever there is a new message..

Two Mailboxes and One Extension:
Actually you can have two mailboxes notify the same ext. Create the first mailbox I.E., 218 assign to ext218 with message waiting, Y. Then create guest mailbox IE., 220 then go into F981, Log: 220 0000. Change the password and record name IE. "Danny".
After logging into the box 220, go into admin then press 6 to set up message notification. It will say not initialized, then the screen will show EXT: enter in 218. Then set the times that you want to notify the extension (8am-5pm). After a message is left in mailbox 220, it will show up in the display as 'Msg for you'. If a message is left for mailbox 220, the voicemail will actually call the ext. When the person answers the phone it will say that there is a message for "Danny". Then in the screen you'll see a softkey Log in button, press it and log into mailbox 220 and get the message.

Good Luck!!

I agree with executone...also use a suitable COS to fit.

spoclogo2.jpg

Hang on, i'm a bit confused here! maybe i'm getting mixed up but arent all your calls supposed to be going to x220 & x218 because you probably have a 4 port flash s/t and there the ext. its using. Or am i being dumb!!

All the calls to x220 (CEO) actually ring on x218 (Exec Admin) and x210 (Admin Assist).

Then if neither answer, it leaves a message on x220, with the CEO's voice.

However, it is the Exec Admin's job to pick up his messages. But she never knows when there is a message that she missed. So now she periodically calls up x220's VM to see if there is a new message.

So we are looking for a way to get a notification to x218 that there is a message on x220. And just having it ring (like a normal message notificiation) doesn't help, because she wasn't there to pick up the original ring either.

I'm considering the different COS's to have it continue ringing periodically... but this doesn't seem like the perfect answer.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far everybody!

Eric Bertrand
SciTegic, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back