Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice mail ending up at wrong extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spragers

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2023
US
Hello!

I've run into an odd situation: we have voice mail through our phone service provider (Brightspeed) and they handle voice mail for our two main lines. Internally, several of our extensions have mailboxes on our Nortel system, but these should only come into play when a call gets transferred. Lately, one of our internal extension mailboxes has been getting random voice mails left to it (sometimes it's a FAX machine, yesterday it was the automated call from our security company) when nobody is transferring any calls to it.

Assuming I've somehow changed a setting that would forward calls to the extension in question, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look in the phone system settings?

Thanks!

You have a Nortel phone system?. Can you kindly narrow it down to the actual type please as there are a number of different ones such as Norstar, BCM and CS1000 etc.

I would suggest that you take a photo and post it here.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

The Attendant DN is most likely set to that phone in Callpilot programming.
Usually it is set to the reception phones DN.

Test, call in and do nothing and/or press 0.

You should be posting in the BCM forum as this is the Norstar forum.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have no way to access the CallPilot by IP address, as we don't have any computer equipment old enough to interface with the device (I've tried with the only old laptop we have that still has an ethernet port and couldn't get any drivers to recognize the device). So, any programming I do has to be through one of the phone terminals. I'll try the steps listed here: if I get a chance, but I've not had any luck so far.

If we call in to either of our main lines and do nothing, the call goes to our Brightspeed voicemail. If I press 0, I hear "that selection is incorrect" and the Brightspeed message starts over.

Since we have voice mail from our phone service provider, should we just turn off the auto attendant? Will that disable our ability to leave internal voice messages (once a call gets transferred to an extension)?

Other than that, I'm not seeing any way that calls should end up going to a mailbox for an extension if someone didn't transfer a call there.

The BCM is not a device that requires drivers to be installed.
You do not need an old computer.
You need BEM software for telephony programming and/or internet browser for Callpilot programming.
I can connect to the BCM's using BEM software along with the latest Firefox or Waterfox browsers, the latest Java, Windows 10 or 11.

You are best to have a vendor do a site visit to have it all connected for you, we do offer remote support too.

You can also do program most programming from the phone, but not all.

Telephony
See Telset programming guide
Page 22 will show which keys to use for telephony programming

Voicemail
Callpilot programming however (Feature 983 to access) is all Display options using the 3 softkey under the display and the dialpad.
Use the Callpilot Setup & Operation Guide

Tips to where the issue might be:
AA/Table/1/ Ok or Next until you see ATDNT:2XX, change it to 000 as the DN

Also Feature 982 ( to open/close the business or Attendant setting etc) has an ATDNT setting...make it "N" for No.

Did you make the 2 test calls yet? "Test, call in and do nothing and/or press 0."

" but these should only come into play when a call gets transferred"
You didnt mention if it was Auto Attendant transferring the calls or a human.
If human, maybe that there is a ring count conflict between when the carriers vmail system answers and when the phone is told to go to callpilot.
Adjust the carriers ring count shorter or the phones ring count longer (under Sets/2XX/Capabilities/FNA

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you for the suggestions - when I have some free time I will give them a try.

I did make the two test calls (mentioned in the previous reply):

Call in, do nothing: Brightspeed voicemail system answers

Call in, press 0: Brightspeed voicemail system answers, pressing zero says "that selection is incorrect" and repeats the Brightspeed menu.

So, our internal BCM50 voice message system does not take effect unless a call is transferred to an extension, and then that extension doesn't answer.

Sorry, I didn't read the 2nd half of your post.

-Count the rings
In Callpilot:
-Check AA/Lines/061(and 062) settings, does it say AA or None, if AA then check how many rings?

In Telephony:
-Check Terms&Sets/ext#/Capabilities/ForwardNoANswer/ Next to Forward Delay Ring Count

It might be that the ring counts are too close (1 ring off) or the same count such as 4, and why it might be a hit and miss.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

You say that only one extension is involved. What is the extension number? Something that wasn't quite clear from your post - is it only Fax and that automated security call that occasionally end up in the internal voicemail of that extension, or is it also getting occasional real voice messages that should have gone to Brightspeed? (I do have something in mind in asking these questions, and the answers will let me know if it makes any sense at all.)

Hello,

I've changed the Forward Delay Ring Count from 4 to 6 for the affected terminal. I also removed it from the ring pool that included the front desk phones, which don't have internal mailboxes. I wonder if the 4 ring limit was competing with our Brightspeed voice mail and once in a while picking up too soon?

My 3rd post:
"You didnt mention if it was Auto Attendant transferring the calls or a human.
[highlight #FCE94F]If human, maybe that there is a ring count conflict between when the carriers vmail system answers and when the phone is told to go to callpilot.
Adjust the carriers ring count shorter or the phones ring count longer (under Sets/2XX/Capabilities/FNA"[/highlight]

My Last post:
"In Telephony:
-Check Terms&Sets/ext#/Capabilities/ForwardNoANswer/ Next to Forward Delay Ring Count
[highlight #FCE94F]It might be that the ring counts are too close (1 ring off) or the same count such as 4, and why it might be a hit and miss."[/highlight]

You did not confirm you fixed it, are you monitoring it to see still?

Probably best to tell the carrier to disable the voicemail since you have your own elaborate one.
Or at minimum, change their ring count to more rings.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back