Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voice backbone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckno

Technical User
Dec 19, 2005
LK
We are going to use cat 5e for the telephone extensions but no idea how to conncet each floor to the PABX. could you pleawse advice me on how to implement a backbone for voice communication so that the cat 5e in the extensions become meaningful?

Sounds like you're on multiple floors and that homerun cabling from the telephone jack back to the PBX MDF is out of the question. So, you'll need to install single cables that incorporate multiple pairs (or "riser" cables) between each floor's IDF backboard in the wiring closet back to the MDF backboard. These cables come in a variety of sizes, such as 25, 50, 100, 200, etc. pairs. Connections from the pbx ports are made at the MDF to the riser cables. Then at the IDFs from the riser cables to the telephone jacks.

Make sense?

For more on this look up "structured cabling systems".

Good luck

doen't mater the switch type on the ca5e, the bandwidth is in the k range 64 kilo doesn't have much problem with bandwidth.. if you feature your switch to a patch panel, you can patch the sets using the same patch cords as the data team.. all jacks at this site are either/or.. telcom uses a unique color patch cable, but wouldn't have to

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Yes we are in a multi floor building and need riser cable. I prefer to use cat 5e for the telephone extension as it could be used as data outlet in the future. But only that will not justify the choice of cat5e. If cat 5e is unable to give higher quality voice or any other "voice development" in the future, I would not use cat 5e for voice. If that kind of development could be expected in the future, then we must have alternative for low speed multi pair cable backbone.

I looked up many "structured cabling systems". :(

Model or brand of the bax is not decided yet.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry mistake!!

"If cat 5e is unable to give higher quality voice or any other "voice development" in the future"

must be

"If voice systems (PBX etc) are unable to utilize cat5e for higher quality voice or any othe "voice (or video) development" in the future

Like most have said, run "riser" cabling between floors, then use Cat5e from the riser out to the desk, using a patch panel structured environment. Here are a couple of selling points:

1) If you go VoIP to the desktop, you will need an IP connection, so the cabling is required.

2) If you need an extra PC where a phone used to be, you do not need to run more cabling

3) As IP applications expand, using a cabling environment below Cat5 could require re-running all of those voice drops to support the newest app.

4) Cat5e is not that much more per foot than Cat3. 75% of your install costs (that is somewhat of a guess) is in labor, not the cable.

5) You/we have no idea what the "future" will bring, so why limit yourself by using old technology? (If rotory phones work just fine, why are they so hard to find? Would you install one today?)

Do a cost comparison between a Cat3 vs. a Cat5 install and see what the difference is. I think you would be very surprised.

Hope this helps,

Scott M.

You can also use as your backbone cat5 riser cable,or bundled cable (24 pair count).

check with your local cable vendor for more information.

Good Luck

Thanks.. I am more empowered by all of your ideas.. thanka again..

Put in more riser capacity than you percieve you will ever need. That will reduce the time before you will run out of pairs.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back