Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voice audio breaks up and skips 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARCOER

Technical User
Jan 21, 2009
US
Thanks in advanced. I am working with a G3siV11. I have a user stating that when he is in a call or a teleconference, audio on his phone breaks up unless he has his mute button pushed. This also happens with voice mail. All test on staion and port passed and I tried swapping out his phone. Trying not to resort to deleting him and readding him. Any suggestions?

let me guess, he is useing the speakerphone.

TYell him he has to omuch background noise, and the phone is switching between send/recieve, that's whats causing the problem.

The solution is to disable as much background noise as possible, shutoff any other sound sources such as TV's, radios, etc.

Mitch

AVAYA Certified Expert

If the issue is with the Speakerphone, do what I recommend,
get a large mouse pad, turn it upside down so that the soft sponge rubber surface faces up and place the phone on that. It will absorb a lot of the backscatter from ambient room noise. Remember that the microphone is under the front edge of the phone, and that sound bounces on hard surfaces. This trick won't cure everything, but it will certainly help.

I had the room in complete silence and it still skips and breaks out. It does it alot more when I call offsite, to the point you dont hear anything unless you pick up the handset. Does it usually get that bad?

I haven't tried the mouse pad yet

Sometimes you do not relate to ambient noise like an AC vent overhead.
The phone might be oversensitive, but it will hear things you might ignore or tune-out.
The speakerphone is half-duplex, if the volume on your side is higher than the receive level it will go into transmit mode and block the speaker, thus the clipping.
Try the mouse pad, it definitely helps.

In order for a speakerphone to not clip the conversation, it must be a true full-duplex system, meaning that audio must flow continuously from each end to the other. Conventional speakerphones do not do this, they operate by switching audio back and forth, and so cause clipping. Only speakerphones certified by the manufacturer as being true IEEE 1329 Class 1 full-duplex systems will give good non-clipping performance. Moreover, the instruments at both ends, not just one end, must be full-duplex systems, whether handset telephones or speakerphones. Note that the “speakerphone” function built into most handset phones does not meet this performance standard; even most systems labeled as “full duplex” are in fact half-duplex speakerphones most of the time unless the manufacturer clearly specifies their compliance with IEEE 1329 Class 1 specifications.

The endpoint environment can also be a source of clipping; background noise in particular should be kept to a minimum. High levels of noise can confuse both full-duplex and half-duplex speakerphones, and cause them to switch the voice in and out unpredictably. Fan noise, air conditioner noise, overhead projectors, outside construction or traffic, or background conversations can contribute to this problem. If this is suspected, try moving to a quieter environment and see whether the problem goes away.

Another endpoint environment that can cause problems is one that has peculiar reverberation properties. Rooms with many reflective surfaces, such as large windows and whiteboards, can have unusually high reverberation. This will make a person who is three feet from a speakerphone sound like they’re fifteen feet away, and can also cause a full-duplex speakerphone to make occasional errors in its efforts to avoid clipping. So this situation is best avoided for a number of reasons when possible.

Is the speakerphone in use or are they using the handset when they have the audio problems?

Kevin

Thanks for everyone's input. Problems when speaker phone is in use. Works great when they are using the handset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back