Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

voice and data lan would like them to integrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcolino

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
US
I have a data lan on a 192.168.x.x network and a voice lan on a 172.20.x.x I would like to be on my data network and communicate with my voice network interface. I researched and came up with a default route? if so do I put a static route on both data and voice routers or just the data router? or do I need another command to make this work. Also I will not bog down my network when this happens? my friend mentioned setting a qos command? all help appreciated!

Do you mean communicate for management only? I assume you have two seperate routers? Are they currently linked physically in any way?

yes for management only would work, yes two routers one for voice and other for data. yes linked not directly but linked.

Static routes will probably work but it kind of depends on how they are currently indirectly linked..?

I think in order to answer the question more definitively we would need some topology information of the current setup, and also what you specifically want to gain from it - are you looking for more than management only? It also depends if you are already running a dynamic routing protocol as to whether statics are the best option.

If you imagine a scenario whereby:

Data Network ----- Data Router ----- Voice Router ----- Voice Network

(where the link between the Data and Voice routers was direct)

Then the solution would be very straightforward - putting a static route on each of your routers, pointing to the other network, via the edge port. You would need static routes on each device, as otherwise the traffic would only flow one way and you would get no response. You would probably want to put an ACL in place to limit traffic for security purposes though, given that the traffic is management only.

However, if you have multiple routed links between the access device (e.g. management workstation) and the voice network, then you would also need to either place statics at those routed links also, or look to use a dynamic routing protocol.

As I say, a topology would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back