Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Voice and Data Inventory Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telecomdog

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2006
US
I am in need of a Telecom Inventory Tool or software package that I can input my voice, Data, Wireless, Calling cards, and etc, inventory into. I would like to keep track of all Local Loops ID's, IXC ID's, Analog trunks, POTS, PRI's, T-1's, Frame Relay, Internet, DS3's, etc., including things like circuit size, phone number, DLCI, provider name, notes fields, contract rate and renewal among others. I would also like to be able to track these components by location, service provider, or type of service.

I know that most packages out there are Telecom Expense Management with inventory capabilities, but I am more interested at this point in a Telecom Inventory Tool.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what you use? I would like any advice on what product to use or not to use?

Thank you.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. But I use excel. Nothing beats a spreadsheet!

Everything we have is in Excel, it is easy to manipulate and sort to get the info needed.

About 10 years ago, I developed my own Access database and have been using similar versions since then. This is what I have found works at my current employer:

My "COMMTROL" database has information about the hardware and trunking at our 70+ locations. A listbox along the side of the primary interface/form lets you select an office location and it displays everything relevant about the system, street address, best contact, vendor repair numbers, disaster call forwarding instructions, and some free form text. Another tab displays all of the trunks and circuits at that location.

My "INVENTORY" database has a relation to the HR employee database (they push an employee file from the system every morning and I link to that file) This database is for those things and services that are assigned to people or departments rather than physical office: Calling card to cellular to fax to conference IDs, etc. The database does a daily compare of the employee file, flagging terminations and department number changes.

The two databases above are _not_ linked to each other because I never found the need for what we hold in INVENTORY to match what we use to look up branch, system and circuit data.

There is no question that my list of trunks could be different than the bill. Since we have lots of lines in every telco region, they is no good way to maintain an ongoing link to 30 providers that cant even link within a region themselves.. So, we decided that management by exception would be good enough if we had a third party auditor find the errors for us while they drooled over the $14Million of voice/data bills we process each year.

~

OK, I use a product called NetViz. It allows me to develop a network diagram map, and then create specific catalog entries for each item/loaction. For example, I have all my 1FB built with the number, location, service type, use, and monthly cost. I do the same for any T1 or OPX. The great thing about Netviz it that it is multi-layered, so your top level diagram only has what you want on it, then you can "drill down" a level, and get more detail. Your circuits can follow you down the diagram if you wish. On my PBX connectivity, I actually show the card in the PBX they connect to, while still showing logical connectivity at the top layer.

Hope thie helps,

Scott M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back