Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vodavi STS experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwi71

MIS
May 27, 2003
US
My company is looking to purchase the Vodavi STS. I'm asking what experiences, impressions and an in general review of the pbx.

All we really need is auto-attendant and voicemail. All the other features are fluff. Based on that, and price of course, this system looks like a perfect match.

So, would you recommend it?

TIA

Jeffrey

WAIT TILL THE 2ND RELEASE.........
Voice Mail problems and analog problems......
Try the NEC DS1000/2000 systems........
SUPERB

Actually, this question is for fonehome.
I am a vendor and am interested in any information you might have about the STS as it applies to your reply.
Do you have experience with problems like you referred to? If so, would you share them with me? I haven't installed a STS yet, but have a customer that has ordered one, and I am VERY interested in knowing any information about problems you might know about that I do not.
Thanx,
Gary Blake
garyblake@ec.rr.com

I have now installed a Starplus STS. It was a pleasant experience and I learned some things. I have used Vodavi products since 1984 when I went into business. All of their systems are reliable !!! I especially like the Digital Electronic Systems they used to make. Have a 1428 in my home/business.
First of all, if you buy the KSU, make sure the vendor you buy the equipment from gets the latest EPROMs from Vodavi, or call Vodavi Tech Support and request the latest software. They provided it for me, but I am a registered dealer of the equipment. They should at least offer it to the supplier you are getting the equipment from.
Secondly, the latest software for the voice mail is available as a download from the Vodavi web site. Again, I am a registered User of their site, but it was free and came with instructions for updating the software. It only requires a computer with a serial port and a straight thru 9 pin (female both ends) cable. It was easy.
The system I installed had one cabinet which is full of cards now. I installed 23 phones and 1 DSS console. I did not have an out of box failure of a phone or any of the equipment. It went in smoothly. Only 2 wires to each set. One 25 pair cable for stations and one 25 pair cable for CO lines. I have had no troubles so far.
I did purchase the internal modem for remote programming. Again, the software for the remote maintenance is available on the Vodavi web site to registered users. The modem has since failed, but I have received the advance replacement. It worked fine for about a week.
Overall, I rate it a great system for the price and quality. The voice mail is 8 ports and you just don't find that for this money.
A couple of things to consider in programming.
You can make the large LED at the top of the LCD display flash when there are VM messages.
The voice mail directory digit comes set for "4". It can be changed to any digit (I changed this one to 9 because they previously used 9). The documentation is not "real" clear on how to do this.
The class of service setting for a mailbox determines length of messages, number of messages and save period. Don't necessarily use the default.
Caller ID worked great out of the box.
Flexible numbering allowed me to match the extension numbers of the system I removed, which by the way was a Toshiba that was having voice mail problems and only had two ports. One of the big reasons for them getting a new system.
Good luck,
Gary Blake

jwi71,
I know it has been awhile since your initial post, but I was curious to find out if you had purchased the STS. I know a little about it and also know that the Comdial DX-80 is one of Vodavi STS's major competitors. The DX-80 has a more robust voice mail/auto-attendant than that of the STS and the prices are about the same. My company is Capitol Communications and is located in NJ. If you are elsewhere then I might be able to refer you to a Comdial dealer in your area. If you want to check out the DX-80, go to comdial.com then Products, then DX-80.

spent a lot of time in Ewing.....mostly sitting in damn traffic...LOL

Q on STS system

How do you set the dip switches sor memory is retained in case of a power out ?

setting 8th dip switch, didn 't do it for me

You have to set the Battery switch (the blue one) next to the 8 dipswitches to ON

And you have to switch dip 8 to off.

It sounds like you just have to turn on the battery switch but for future reference here Ya GO.

The procedure listed on Product notice PN0203 is (word for word)

1. Install The KSU and EKSU if required
2. Install all cards in proper card slots
3. On BKSU Main Board Unit (MBU), turn battery switch "on" (SW 4).
4. Position all eight (8) switches (SW 5) "ON" position.
5. Connect AC Power to proper AC outlet.
6. Turn Power "ON".
7. Cycle the power switch "OFF" then "ON".
8. Move switch eight (8) on (SW5) to the "OFF" position.
9. System is now defaulted and ready to program.

Also if you have a system that shows the software revision on the sets and does not start up make sure that the jumper is on pins 12 & 13 where the PLLU goes. The last system I got was missing it and i had to take on from an old modem to make the system work. (again this is not what is up with your system but something to keep in mind if you install any more)
-Don

I'm looking at Partner ACS from Avaya and the Starplus STS system from Vodavi. While both seem equivalent in feaures and performance, I'm leaning towards the latter because:
1. For a 6-line 10-xtension system STS costs around $5000 while ACS is $6600

2. STS is all-digital while ACS is an analog phone (cant say I have a good reason though!)

Would you guys agree with me? Is there another system that I shd look at?

Would appreciate any and all input!

Uday

Umenon - the ACS is a digital system - the competion uses the whole analog thing to scare you - the analog tip and ring signal is transmitted to the phones as well as the information regarding message waiting and station light status etc - what this really means is that any extension can be a system phone or an analog device or a combination of both. Regular single line phones, cordless phones, fax machines, credit card scanners, PC Modems for programs like ACT can all work on the Partner system. I have been selling and installing them since 1997 and they are tremendously reliable and easy to use. My suggestion would be to shop the system among several Avaya business partners to make sure you are getting a good price - $6,600 would be too much here in upstate ny but i don't know where you are. If you are looking for a more robust, feature rich system check out the ESI IVX 72e - killer system with great voice mail, call recording, call queing, remote IP Phones and much more - you can get to an ESI dealer off their web site - good luck!!

One of Vodavi's major competitors is the Comdial DX80. I have won numerous contracts against them. Without voicemail and installation costs the DX-80's MSRP for the equipment you described would be $4422. Some vendors take percentages off the MSRP(i take 15% off, plus take an additional 10% of total price). For the system that you described, I would charge $4400 total. You can check out the DX-80 @ . If you are located anywhere in or around NJ I might be able to help you out.

Mattgray,

Thank you for your response. I am located in Holmdel, NJ and was considering the DX-80 so its interesting that you mention it. Please send me email at umenon@acm.org so we can take this further.

Uday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back