Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VNCviewer /listen PORT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCD

MIS
Feb 19, 2001
US
I want to make vncviewer run in listen mode on port 80. But I can't seem to figure a way out. Any Ideas?
(I hope to have others run the host on their machine and connect to my viewer via port 80 to get past their firewall) FYI I'm runing the windows version of vnc, version 3.3.3r9

I am not sure that will work natively. I think you have to tell the firewall to listen on port 80 and redirect traffic from a particular public IP address or allow all traffic to go through, and redirect that to the specific local IP address.
The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are accessing it via the web browser it would have to be in this format if you want to open the ports on the firewall, open 5800 - 6000, and you will be fine.
What kind of firewalls are you/they using?
We use 3com Office Connect Firewalls.

:)

The host machines would belong to misc owners with misc. firewalls. I found some info on ReCompiling VNC Viewer to allow to set the listen port. I'm gonna give that a shot and post any new info up here.

I also have this problem with a Linksys router - and I am only attempting to use the standard ports!

I wonder, if what I read somewhere, that one must make the router used FIXED IP for the internal (lan) side....even if it can use DHCP on the WAN side...

Mark

I have same problem as Mkfrie. I have a Linksys router and I am trying to setup VNC to remotely access my computer from browser through router.

I heard two things: you have to forward the port to your IP address, and version 1.37 (or higher) has a major problem with VNC and PCANYWHERE.

Can anyone advise how to setup the router? Or confirm the above?

Rich.

What is the ip of your computer?

Open your router configuration page
Go to the port fowarding page. Forward port 5900~5910 (the 5910 could be changed I just set it to that for testing) to your computers IP address (not the IP address your ISP gives you).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back